[ SHOWGSD-L ] It CAN be done!

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx list" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 17:18:20 -0700

What a great activist group! Inclusive and far reaching.    This is
the way to GO, Folks!  This feels like a BIS to me, right?
Congratulations, GSDC of No. OH and Karen! Karen is her club's GSDCA
Legislation Group Member.   Does your club have one?  Ask me.

Permission was granted to crosspost appropriately.
Stormy Hope
www.carpoc.org
AKC Legislative Liaison, GSDCA
Sunshine Squad <showgsd.org/sunshine.html)
GSDs and more

On Sept. 8, 2009, the GSDC of Northern Ohio hosted a meeting with
Senator Timothy Grendell to discuss the proposed Ohio SB 95, also
known as the "Puppy Mill" bill. We had approximately 60 people turn
out, including 3 members of the Amish community. Two were breeders,
the 3rd was a broker. (Ohio has a large Amish community who in recent
years have turned to breeding puppies.)
The following day I received a call from one of the writers of the
bill, who had someone in attendence at our meeting. (Unknown to us as
they did not identify themselves). After much debate with her, she
asked that we (the dog community) offer suggestions to modify the bill
to make it more acceptable to us. I don't think that is possible, but
I referred her to the AKC legislative department.
But I am heartened by the many people in attendence and the feedback I
have had since the meeting, who have offered to help fight this bill.
I hope to put together a cohesive, organized group of breeders and
exhibitors from Ohio to effectively fight this bill. The Senator had
some excellent suggestions on how to go about this and I intend to
follow up with his office.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Karen Teplitzky
GSDC of No Ohi