[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Is this part of our problem?

  • From: Kay Springer <showgsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 18:40:32 -0700

I think most people who use a trainer, including myself at times, do
it because the trainer has the facility to accomplish something the
owner can't do.  For me, it means the trainer has ATV and a track to
road work the dog.  Yes, I play tons of ball with my dogs, they  do
obedience which includes going over jumps etc, but I live in a city
and although I have a very large backyard that is fenced in, I do not
have the space or the equipment to road work a dog. For me road
working is neeeded before big shows such as the National if for
nothing else but to build up stamina to show in specials.  I am lucky
to have a dog that is tightly ligamented with  a rock hard back, but
it didn't hurt him to be conditioned to build stamina.  There are dogs
that need to be road worked to tighten up their back and other
areas.   My dog also spent time at his handler's home when young so
they could "bond" and they could build a relationship that was
transferred over in the ring....although most of the time I was there,
and he was looking for where I was hiding. LOL

Additionally some owners are of an age that they physically can not do
what is needed to get and keep a dog in show condition.   And some
live in areas where there are not many shows and they themselves can
not travel, for various reasons, with a dog to the shows.   However
90% of the time I am at the shows where my dogs are being showns.

I have have used two trainers and will continue to do so when needed.
All I know is that it has worked very well for the dogs that I show
and I appreciate the work that trainer and handler has put into making
my dog(s) look their best.

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.com
Home of Multi BISS & Multi Group Winning
Ch. Rohan's Reward TC,CGC,HT,CD,RE,CHIC
"Strider" 75 BOBs - #5 & #6 GSD 2009

On Jul 9, 2010, at 6:05 PM, <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx> <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx