[ SHOWGSD-L ] Is this insane….breeding?

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 18:30:31 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 9/18/13 2:23:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx writes:

 Would  it be completely insane to in the coming year or two breed my bitch
to a stud  dog that is deceased? My thought process is that I will be able
to tell the  health of the dog by how long he lived and the health of what
he has sired. I  will be able to tell how prepotent he is by what he was able
to do with  different types of bitches.

I am probably a group of one, who is against doing this. We,  the breeders
breed every litter to improve the breed. If you go back you have  the risk
of returning to earlier problems. Now, I say that with a great looking
litter of Select Patriot puppies in the whelping box. I think he has been gone
ten years or so. Also, we have Ben sperm, and he was the number one stud dog
that year.

I know  from breeding horses that one never breeds a maiden to an unproven
young  stud.  There are a couple of deceased dogs that I like..one of them
is  named Marhaven Color Guard. Another is an older generation dog named
Woodside's Nestle Quick. Or, am I better off sticking to older studs that are
still alive!
I have a picture of Tedi and with Quick trying to get my food  at his
party;.  And, I don't have to tell anyone how high I am on The Boss.  So, maybe
you should ignore my above opinion, as most intelligent breeders  do.

On  another note, has their ever been progeny classes at Nationals were a
Stud dog  could present with a collection of his kids?
Of course the stud dog and brood bitch classes were valuable.  But, now it
is so expensive to bring the dogs to the national, and so hard to
coordinate, that they aren't what they used to be. I do remember one stud dog
class
that made me decide not to use that dog.  The class can be helpful,  but you
can do the same by reading the Red Book.

What is important is to realize this is but my opinion.   Others will have
another opinion. My wife of 45 years decided to do a Patriot  breeding. So
far, I am impressed by her decision.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German  Shepherds
_http://www.asgardgsd.com_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come  together