[ SHOWGSD-L ] Is the Sky falling?...another idea

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:50:47 -0700

....This world show thing in 2013 ( something I might add I'm 100% for ) has
got lots of folks nervous for good reason and people I'm sure have tons of
questions, some may even have ideas....in this age of the computer how come
we as a club can't set up an on-line "live"Â web forum, open to all members
to discuss the aspects of this adventure....everything can be put out in the
open for all to see......this would solve the problem of partial and
mis-information....and we could also discuss other important club issues
using this forum........I have other ideas but I'm too shy to discuss
them..lol...FB
Once again, I agree with Ed...

I’ll weigh in on this, although I may get tarred and feathers after I do...

Whether or not this is a good idea, can only be determined by assessing the
risk and then, if it appears good, by taking the risk. So far, most of the
comments I have read fear the expense of the trials in a down economic time.
What I have not heard is the up side, and some seem to see no upside.

Each year these trials are held in some location and nations bid for the
opportunity to host the trials. We have been on the list for years. Now our
turn has come up. If we decide to back out at this point, we can probably
kiss our relationship with the rest of the GSD world, good by! And, that
might even be a good thing, according to some. What we do not want to see is
the demise of the GSDCA because of a failed event.

Those things that can effect the success or failure of this event, as I see
it are:

1. The economy -
If exhibitors fail to show from around the world, then we can expect it to
effect the bottom line. The economy is not an American thing, although I
suspect that, because of what has been the traditional American influence on
the world’s economy, to some degree – as goes America, so goes the world. I
have a good friend who is professor of economics at UNR. He is very smart. I
can tell. He agrees with me! <G> He believes that if we were to back up
about four years and reverse every economic decision made by our illustrious
government, we would not be in the condition we are in. But, alas, I do not,
nor does my friend, have the power to change all that. But, forgive the
conjecture, we do have an election coming up....

Regardless of how the economy goes, it will effect us all and will effect
the event. The choice we make is to either see this as an opportunity,
believe the projections of income, in whole or in part and welcome the
opportunity and accept the risk. One option is to act out of a belief that
the sky is falling, and it well might be. I do not know. The other option is
to assess the risk and move forward, knowing that the economy of all nations
may crash in the interim, between now and the event. In which case, it
probably does not matter what we do, we are all going down anyway!

2. The management of the event -
If we are going to do this, then we need to do everything we can to organize
it, delegate responsibility to those who can put it all together and then
jump in with all of our might to make it the greatest thing that ever
happened in the GSD world in this nation. If we cannot rally to this event
and make it our highest priority, then we should stop now! The economy
aside, our unity or lack of it will determine what happens to this event.

So, we need communications now – to start promoting the event within our
ranks to gain support and answer any questions and fears that arise. That is
the first order of business. The first priority of war, is to gain public
support. So far I do not feel the sense of excitement and enthusiasm that we
need to make this work, and that is the most important thing. If we build
it, they will come. If not, we are in deep trouble.
I do not know the people with primary responsibility, but they need to
solicit our support, and if we are going to do this, then we need to give it
to them. One way or the other, we have to have a vision and a commitment or
we have to stop and save ourselves from the risk.

Just my opinion....
Dave