[ SHOWGSD-L ] Is size of a dog is not indicative of working ability................

  • From: Puma <pumagsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:07:26 -0700 (PDT)

As a retired police officer I saw K-9 work GSD's doing what they are trained
for.....to apprehend criminals, detect narcotics, explosives etc. This is not a
sport rather many times our lifes depended on the dog. I saw many excellent
small dogs and I saw many excellent large dogs. Size as a lister claimed is not
indicative of a dogs working ability. The best dog that I ever saw was a GSD of
course that weighed 107 pounds and was approximately 27". I once saw him jump
into a lake and retrieve a gun used to shoot a police officer from 3' deep
water.  For the life in me to this day I still do not know how he knew it was
there. His jaws were so strong that they would crack subjects bones that ran
from the police. He could work for hours in the hot Florida sun. He was as fast
and as agile as any smaller dog. Then again I saw a 45 pound mixed GSD break up
a brawl all by himself. I can tell you stories about how these K-9 saved police
officers lifes. And closer to home I can tell
 you how one dog saved my life and the life of two other police officers. But
the most important thing that I want to tell you is that the GSD is the very,
very best all around working dog period !