[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Is it me or Millan? Long, but disturbing...

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 06:47:47 -0700 (PDT)

I saw this late last night but did not have time to deal with it.

  I developed my own way of teaching pack leadership to my clients and my own
way of working with dogs.  I read and worked with other trainers for many years
and came up with my version of pack leadership.

  Then I saw Caser on TV and thougth, "Well, I guess I am not so different
after all".

  I do what he does, with some differences, but it works, because we are
talking to the dog in language they understand, not what we understand on our
own.  I teach leadership, in much the same way.

  Caser does understand things that we did not 40 years ago.  A tired dog is a
happy dog, and one that is easier to train.  I know I work with dogs that do
not get enough excercise and I have one myself.

  The mail carrier is in a unique position, they have to command and control
the dogs that approach them.  Eye contact that is steady and calm does work if
you just want the dog to go away.  If you want to be friends, don't start with
eye contact.  I don't in my lessons, but if approached by other dogs when
working with a dog, I do make eye contact to keep them away.  Without eye
contact they might come closer to inspect and that is not desirable.  I OWN the
space I am in and the strange dog is not welcome!

  By turning his back, and I do it a lot, he is saying he is too important to
be bothered by this dog.  Works well too!

  The Golden had never been told to stop, it is unsettleing for a dog the first
time to be stopped in their tracks, but once they see that there is not choice,
by the power of dominance, they back off.  The Golden was uncomfortable, but is
that a crime?

  I don't recommend that my clients challenge their own dog directly face to
face over food until they are otherwise in control.  But I challenge my dogs
face to face and clients' dogs all the time.  I offer them the opporturnity to
try besting me, because I am going to win.  One single harsh "NO" can do
miracles.

  The Rottie and the White Shep are a great example of "it won't work anymore".
 Dog use agression because it works.  If it stops people from doing something
the dog is not in favor of, the dog will use agression forever for everything.
Dog agression is a lot of the same stuff.

  Giving a dog the stimulas to agress and then saying it won't work causes a
temper trantrum.  Some are worse than others.  But if a handler gives into the
trantrum they loose.  You have to see it through to the finish.  Then what
Caser calls calm submission, I call resignation to the new rules.

  Resignation is a wonderful thing, it is a new starting point.  Once a dog
realizes that the trantrum and agression won't work and once they have
exhausted themsevles on the trantrum they can begin to move forward in their
lives.

  I have been bitten a few times, but I don't give up.  And I have rewritten
the minds of many a dog by just letting them scream it out of their systems.

  I explain things differently from Caser but he does have the right idea.

  A dog that is well raised and trained never needs any of this.  But dogs that
are running the pack and terrorizing or even just constantly getting their way
need to be stopped.  Dogs that are in control of people are dangerous, at any
size and in any breed.  Bringing the adult people in charge back into a
leadership roll makes the dog relax and stop trying to control their
environment.  They really can't manage and run our society so it is vital that
we manage and run them.

  To do it with food all the time means that the dog is still in control, by
insisting on food for behaviors.  A dog that obeys out of pack loyalty is a dog
waiting to be fed his next meal with joy.

  Anyone who thinks I am nuts is welcome to tell me so, but I get paid to do
what Caser does, here in Miami, and I have a good track record.  I do believe
that same behavioral issues are genetic and some are just too far gone and have
gone on too long for the owners to fix.  I know that I have size and weight
limits with regard to how big a dog I can tangle with.  But I also have passive
ways of being in control that Caser does not use or at least I see him doing it
but not teaching it.

  Finally, Caser does not praise dogs nearly enough to suite me.  I believe in
using verbal praise to signal to dogs when they get it right, and that includes
submitting to me and to their people.

  sheila

Paulette McGuirt <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi, I visited my mother over the weekend and watched the "Dog Whisperer" for
the very first time. Almost every thing Millan said and did was contrary to
what I've learned about dogs over the past 40+ years.

Millan was shown giving a seminar for Postal Carriers. Here's a few highlights:

- When a barking dog approaches the Carrier, the Carrier should stare the dog
in the eye; thus showing dominance over the dog.
- When a dog approaches, carry a big stick and/or something big to make
yourself look larger than life.
- The Carrier should never lower his/her gaze or turn his/her back on the dog
because this shows submission to the dog.

Here's what happened when Millan and a Postal Carrier went out into the
"field:" Millan and the Carrier approached a home where an older Goldie always
comes out and barks at the Carrier. This time, Millan told the Carrier to
practice the "stare down." They did this and the dog barked more aggressively
and began circling Millan and the Carrier. The owner of the dog came out and
was a bit upset... He said his dog had never displayed this behavior before.
Usually, the dog barked a bit and followed the owner back into the house
without being called. Not this time! Hmmmm... Wonder why???

Then the Whisperer tackled the problem of food aggression... He approached the
food aggressive dog while the dog was chowing down. Millan bent over and kind
of squatted down until his face was almost level with the dog's muzzle. Then,
he pointed a finger in the dog's face and yelled "NO." At this point, I had
enough and left the room.

When I went back into the room, another episode of the "Dog Whisperer" was on.
I'm so glad because this time, I was able to see Millan really work his magic!

This episode dwelt with dog aggression. The "subject" was a 4 year old, very
obese Rottie. After observing the dog, Millan decided the Rottie needed be in
Millan's 14 day "Detox" program, as he called it. Here they would work on the
Rottie's dog aggression and his weight problem. "Detox" is where the fun really
began...

First, the Rottie was put on a treadmill and worked until he was totally
exhausted. Then, the Rottie was released into an area with lots and lots of
docile dogs. The Rottie immediately stumbled to a shady spot and collapsed.
Millan was thrilled! The Rottie wasn't showing aggression toward any of the
dogs! Well, duh! The Rottie was too darn tired to do anything at all, much less
attack another dog!

Now for the next big challenge... The Rottie hated White GSDs, so Millan worked
the Rottie on the treadmill and then, he had an assistant bring in a very sweet
White GSD on a lead. Millan took the Rottie right up to the GSD and guess what
happened? The Rottie attacked the GSD. While Millan was pulling the Rottie off
the other dog, he dropped the Rottie's lead and was actually grabbing at the
Rottie's muzzle! I guess he wanted to illustrate the best way to break up a dog
fight!

After Millan got the Rottie off the GSD, he waved his hands in the air saying,
"See! No blood!" Then Millan worked the attack to his advantage by saying how
the attack only lasted a few seconds, but the Rottie had been exposed to other
dogs for hours without a fight; therefore, this one little "mishap" was okay. I
felt sick to my stomach by now, but decided to hang in there.

After the Rottie graduated from Millan's 14 day Detox program, the owner of the
dog was shown walking the Rottie around the neighborhood. Millan, with the
White GSD on a lead, began walking beside the Rottie and his owner. The GSD was
extremely nervous and never took his eyes off the Rottie.

After the short stroll, the Rottie's owner was ecstatic and kept proclaiming
how Millan worked a "miracle" with her dog. Then the owner said how happy she
was that aggressive dogs could be transformed. Now rescues and shelters could
"Detox" aggressive dogs and put them up for adoption; aggressive dogs no longer
needed to be euthanized! Hail to Cesar! Long live the doggie miracle worker!

Here's Millan's parting words to the Rottie owner: "How does it feel to be
walking with two gladiators?" He was referring to the Rottie and the GSD. The
Rottie's owner looked baffled.

By the end of the show, my blood pressure had risen by at least 100 points! Is
this guy for real??? "Dog Whisperer" my bum!!! IMO, based on what I observed in
those two episodes, Millan comes across more like a charismatic "Snake Oil"
salesman! Millan's training methodology leads me to believe this man is a
menace to dog owners and their dogs alike! Once again, our decision to ban Tele
watching in our home has be reinforced. Watching TV can be dangerous to ones
health and well-being!

I know Millan has a huge following, so I must ask... Is it me or Millan?

Paulette McGuirt
Member of the GSDCA

BTW, sorry the sarcasm. I just can't help myself sometimes.

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?