[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Irritated with the OFA

  • From: "Melissa" <melanagsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:08:06 -0500

OFA's own website admits the evaluation is subjective and that radiologists
agreed on the same rating only 73.5% of the time.
From OFA Website:
When results of 1.8 million radiographic evaluations by 45 radiologists were
analyzed, it was found that all three radiologists agreed as to whether the dog
should be classified as having a normal phenotype, borderline phenotype, or HD
94.9% of the time. In addition, 73.5% of the time, all three radiologists
agreed on the same hip phenotype (excellent, fair, good, borderline, mild,
moderate or severe). Twenty-one percent of the time, two radiologists agreed on
the same hip grade and the third radiologist was within one hip grade of the
other two. Two radiologists agreed on the same hip grade and the third
radiologist was within two hip grades of the other two 5.4% of the time. This
percentage of agreement is high considering the subjective nature of the
evaluation.

This is why I only use OFA as a "tool".  Unless there's significant subluxation
with arthritis and remodeling, I'm not going to discard an otherwise excellent
animal from the gene pool.

Anyway, I hope your girl gets better soon.

Melissa
www.melanashepherds.com