[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Interpretations of the balanced dog

  • From: "Michael Lynch" <blackhawkfarmsllc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 21:56:16 -0800

Its funny, I guess maybe Im too into shepherds to put it into a few words
the essence of the breed, but its done all the time in terriers. When its
"My Breed" i try to put in all the nuances that really sets a good one from
great, but, Ironically, this past weekend, I had a new shepherd applicant,
who comes from Danes and Akitas, ask, "What would you say makes a Shepherd a
Shepherd?" Now that I think about it, My answer was a bit wordy, but in
terriers, these hallmarks were drilled into me, some by the handlers I
worked for, some by asking breeders.

Scottish Terriers: Low, Compact, Powerful with a "Tails up attitude" with a
Keen Varmity expression

Skye Terriers: Long, Low and Level..An elegant breed

Wheaten Terriers: Moderation, not exaggeration; Soft, Silky coat with a
Gentle wave and Happy temperament (can be any color save Wheaten).

Irish Terriers: Racy rather than shortback, Daredevil attitude, with a
Piercing expression (able to look at you and through you at the same time)

Soooo, lemme try again! <g>

Shepherds: A trotting breed, Fit, Slightly longer than tall (10 to 8.5---not
20 <g>) a Define look of Nobility?

(yeah, I kinda like that if I am gonna "sum it up")

Mike
.