[ SHOWGSD-L ] Interpertation vs. preference

  • From: "David Fritsche" <dfritsche@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:18:55 -0700

> I keep seeing many e-mails talking about judges INTERPERTATION of
> the
> standard. Let me see if I understand this correctly. We have a
> standard and illustrations showing the proper structure of the GSD.
> IMO, there never should be an interpertaion of the standard.

While I agree with you Barbara.... I am cynical of the human race. I
do need to talk to God about His breeding program!

Seem like any information that is given to us, no matter how exact and
detailed, once it enters our head gets scrambled, mixed, turned around
and upside down and then comes out in an endless array of mixed and
contaminated results. I suppose the best way to say it, rather than to
be crude and call it stupidity, is to call it an interpretation. That
seems far kinder and gentler..... <G>

Hence we can see a judge watch the dogs gating around the ring, know
that he is aware of the phrase "covering the most ground with the
fewest steps" and watch him pick the one flailing furiously around the
ring hell bent on using up the world supply of energy in one pass.
That is interpretation.

We can see the poor creature trying to get around the ring as best it
can, bringing its rear up under but stopping half way through the
stroke and then dragging the toe back into position to try it again,
and we remember the phrase, "any fault of movement is a very serious
fault," and see it win. That is interpretation.

We can see the nice little doggie cower behind the handler, run from
the judge and then try to bite him on examination, all the while we
are remembering that temperament is the first item in the standard,
but it wins. That is interpretation.

We can see.... OK, so stop already..... Sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy
concert. Maybe we can get him to come to our shows and do an
intermission performance called, "You might be an interpretation judge
if......"

OK, so I love it and I go and I critique the judges and I just chalk
it all up to human nature and consider that my experience was not to
be a dog show purist to see the perfection of the breed or of the
judging process, it was only to see some good dogs that I like,
whither of not they win, to visit with friends and to people watch,
usually confirming my cynicism and providing more in entertainment
than the trip costs.

What else can I do on a perfectly good weekend.....
Dave