[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Interpertation vs. preference

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:10:05 -0700 (PDT)

Excellent post Barbara
Terry
Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I keep seeing many e-mails talking about judges INTERPERTATION of the
standard. Let me see if I understand this correctly. We have a
standard and illustrations showing the proper structure of the GSD.
IMO, there never should be an interpertaion of the standard. Either the
dog fits that description or he doesn't. Does he have the proper length
of upper arm and layback of shoulder, the proper height to length of
body, the proper topline, the proper rear, croup, tail set, length of
neck, secondary sex characteristics, proper reach and drive and follow
through, proper temperament, etc., etc. When I hear people say it was
the judges interpertation of the standard.......what
interpertation?.......they have a standard to judge by. You and I read
the same standard in black and white. I know what it says and what it
says is the ideal GSD - not the judges interpertation of that standard,
but IDEAL. There should be no interpertation.......just what is
called for in the standard. How can he have an interpertation of a
shoulder or rear, when the standard tells him what the shoulder or rear
is to be - does this dog have it, or doesn't he? Does this dog fit the
standard or not? However, say the judge has a PREFERENCE and now I'll
be able to follow this thinking. He has a preference for side gait,
front, or rear, plush, or dry, etc., etc., etc. (although we all know
all things should be considered equal). I think when people are saying
interpertation what they really mean is preference. The standard is set
forth - very few dogs have it all - so then, what is the judge to do -
he decides on his preference - what is most important to him/her from
WHAT THIS DOG STANDING IN FRONT OF HIM SHOWS HIM ON THIS DAY. Best
wishes, Barbara Galasso..............I can see the wheels turning now
on this one, and the dust is just about ready to be kicked up. "Now if
I could only find that bottle of Xanax........where'd I put it"?

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

http://mail.yahoo.com