[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Interesting discussion

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gretchanya@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:53:10 -0400

We aren't supposed to crosspost or forward, and I don't..but sometimes I do
steal parts of posts and pass them, with no ID, when I think some answers
might be helpful.  -- so, with that in mind, here's a response from a
Cavalier breeder who also has Samoyeds and lives in the deep south
   Peggy

Peggy,
I consider myself a small breeder and have anywhere from 1 to 4 litters in a
year most years.  I have a very active website that is included in my
signature line in every post I make anywhere and is on the breeder referral
list with the parent club.
I get around 150-200 hits on this website every week so it is very well
received.  Most of my puppies are sold thru the website although sometimes
through a contact met at a show.  My puppy owners check it often and send
people to the site and/or directly to me when I have a litter available.
That includes show prospect puppies.  I know my line and my dogs and have
been breeding for a very long time and have very successfully evaluated show
prospects at 10 weeks of age that have gone on to finish even by novice
owner/handlers.

I think that offering co-ownerships along with the mentoring that most
newbies really do want is one way that I have been able to place show
prospect puppies.  Those newbies become an extended family and we are in
touch very regularly whether with problems or solutions or just exchange of
information.  Quite often when they have 1 and are successful they come back
for another so that they too can build a breeding program with dogs of
similar bloodlines and pedigrees.

That's what works for me.