[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Interesting discussion

  • From: Royal T Shepherds <gina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:31:27 -0700 (PDT)

Kind of eerie....  As though you were looking through my window for the last
10 years....  I find it very hard to find good show homes and always have.
It's also impossible for an unkown "nobody", like myself, to charge a decent
price either.  There is no way I could ask for, and get, the amount of
money I'VE paid for a show prospect from a big name kennel.  I completely agree
with having trouble selling puppies you've "grown out" in hopes of them panning
out.  Many times I've just placed them in pet homes at no charge.   People just
don't seem to want older puppies.  For the life of me, I'll never understand
that.  When I place an older, pup they usually call to thank me and say they'll
never get a baby again.  All my dogs are housedogs, so they are getting a
housebroken, basic obedience trained, socialized older pup.  All the hard work
is already done.
I really don't think the "big name" kennels are selling many super show puppies
to pet homes, but I have had a few experiences where a well known kennel tried
to sell me an obvious pet quality animal as a super show puppy.  Sometimes I
think they are just trying to pull one over on an unkown, in the hopes of
getting more money.   I can't believe I bought my first pup sight unseen.
Cappy and Gloria sent me a nice  puppy, thank goodness, but what was I
thinking?
I think a really good way to find show homes is to take your puppies to dog
shows and have as many people look at them as possible.  Word travels fast if
you have a good one.  Be prepared, though, to hear that your super show puppy
isn't as "super" as you thought it was.  It's very important to have others
evaluate your puppies before you get frustrated, wondering why there doesn't
appear to be much interest in them.  There are also other GSD lists where you
can post pictures of your available show prospects as well as websites
dedicated to the same thing.  Your average Joe doesn't look on your website to
find a show prospect.  You have to make a serious effort to advertise
where people are specifically looking for what you have to offer.
I can't wait to hear other suggestions,
Gina
 ROYAL T SHEPHERDS
http://www.royaltshepherds.com
Home of: Ch Covy Tucker Hill v Royal T's Edsel,CD,NA,CGC,HIC,OFA h/e/t/c
Covy Tucker Hill's Marc Royal T,CD,CGC
Royal T's Wildwood Maggie May,TT
Stonekroft's Renaissance Royal T