[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Interesting article on castration

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 06:59:43 -0800 (PST)

When counseling clients about neutering, I tell them the best part is just
taking sex out of the equation.  Just not having to deal with a male looking to
get lucky, with the wife, or a bitch in heat, within 5 miles, is worth the
effort.
I have "heard" of undescended testicles becoming infected or necrotic.  But I
have no personal experience.

Now, at the risk if being flogged, wasn't one of the heavily used dogs sired by
one of the most used dogs in our history a monorchid?  No I won't name names, I
will get flogged.
sheila

From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx <Elsyd1@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Interesting article on castration
To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 1:02 AM

I thought this article was  extremely interesting and informative. Obviously
this vet (for a change)  is a "dog person" . Syd

The Show Dog  Super Site - The Best of Breed of Online Show Dog Magazines
ISSUES REGARDING CASTRATION  IN DOGS

Politically correct conventional wisdom is not  necessarily biologically
correct. Also, old wives tales regarding  testicles and behavioral matters are
often just that.
The only true justifications for castrating dogs  are 1) aggressive behavior
toward other dogs in the same household,  and 2) perianal adenoma in old dogs.
Aggression to other dogs in situations outside the  house is pretty normal
dog behavior. Appropriate behavior. Since  your dog will be on lead or inside a

secure fence at all times,  there should be no problem with dogs outside your
household.  However, if male house mates fight, and both need to stay with
you,  castration of one or both may solve the aggression problems. If you
fault
your dog for being aggressive to acquaintances while being  walked on lead,
you should not. He is guarding you. That simple.  Honorable behavior. If you
fault your dog for aggression in a 'dog  park' where he is running
free, or on
the beach, or in the woods,  well shame on you; you're the one at fault for

risking his life in  such an uncontrolled situation. Dogs that can manage such
encounters  without aggression are fine, but you cannot automatically expect a

dog to have friendly relations with animals from outside his own
'pack'. It
goes against his whole evolution.
Perianal adenomas, benign but messy tumors in old  dogs may be treated by
castration.
In terms of your dog's health, two overriding  concerns are present.
Castration at an early age will cause the dog  to become overly tall, as the
growth
plates in the long bones will  not close at the appropriate time; additionally,

the dog will lack  breadth of chest. The combination of these two factors sets
the  stage for your dog to have painful orthopedic problems. The OFA has
published articles on this subject. An early age means below 1 year  in small
and
medium sized dogs, and below 2 to 2.5 years in large  and giant breeds.
The statement that your dog will not automatically  gain weight is rubbish.
Removing sexual hormones will change his  metabolism and make your dog more
sluggish, resulting almost  inevitably in weight gain. Also, muscle tone will
decline after  castration, and the classic result of this is a fat dog in poor

muscle tone that ends up having a cruciate ligament rupture in the  knee. Can
you avoid the consequences to weight and condition? Sure  in the ideal world
it's possible, but in the real world, the  overwhelming proportion of
owners do
not succeed in this  endeavor.
The second concern regarding your dog's health is  highly malignant
prostate
cancer. Virtually all malignant prostatic  tumors in dogs occur in castrated
dogs. Castrating your dog puts him  at risk for one of the worst cancers he can

get. While you remove  the very slight risk of testicular cancer in castrated
dogs, that's  a small matter; the incidence of testicular cancer is so
minimal.  Also, almost all testicular cancers in dogs are benign. If we find a

testicular tumor, we normally remove the testicle with the mass and  leave the
remaining one intact. The relative incidence and severity  of the tumors of the

prostate relative to tumors of the testicle  makes the decision to keep your
dog intact a virtual no-brainer. The  information on the incidence prostatic
malignancies was obtained  through a very large study of the records at
veterinary colleges.  These findings have been published for several years._*_
(http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/ftnt1.html)
Infection or inflammation of the prostate may occur  in intact male dogs that
are chronically exposed to bitches in heat.  These are often worrisome to
owners who seem to confuse prostatitis  with the more serious prostate cancer.
Prostatic infections are  easily treated, and not, per se, a reason for
castration.

So, the bottom line is:
1. Never  castrate your dog because it is Politically  Correct
2. Only castrate your dog  if his home life is at risk due to  dog-to-dog
aggression, or if, at  the age of 11 years or so, he develops a perianal
adenoma. _Mary  C. Wakeman, D.V.M._
(http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/aac/index.html)
©2003 for  BREEDERVET

is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the original

PERMISSION
OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND
IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the original

MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION