[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Interesting Obedience training question....

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx, BonJenShepherds@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:54:06 -0700 (PDT)

That is training the dog to the judge, not necessarily the best way.  Some
judges are hard to hear, some have accents that the dog will miss.  But I sent
an idea privately that might work in any judge's ring.
  sheila
tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
  Tell her to tell the dog before she turns. There are plenty of 'indicatiors'
in the ring when she competes..... a real good cue is a 'left turn' command
just before she begins the turn. This is not an option - use "LEFT TURN." After
the dog is trained and responding well, chain the command. Have someone else
with her when she trains. They say "left turn" then she immediately gives the
SAME command. It will take about three times, if the dog is bright, and she
will begin to respond when the 'other' person gives the command. When she does
- the handler drops her command and the dog begins to turn on the other
person's command.
Sound a little crazy??? LOL What happens in competition??? The JUDGE SAY'S
"LEFT TURN" and Miss Kathy Lee does it!!!
--
Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com

From: BonJenShepherds@xxxxxxx

> Hello everyone,
>
> My cousin Kathy Lee is trying to train her GSD bitch herself. She wants
> to get her dogs CD herself (she's a bit stubborn & very independent ).
> The thing is Kathy Lee is in a wheelchair, which at first didn't seem like a
> big deal because she does everything else she wants to do from her chair.
> She tells me that training is going well but she ran into a problem when she
> tried to teach the dog left turns while heeling. The dog can't seem to get it
> because there is no advanced warning when she's about to turn left. The right
> turns she got quickly because she could see the chair turning away from her
> side & even though she lagged a little at first she soon figured that out.
> With a handler who is walking these left turns would be easier because the
> dog
> watches moving legs for cues. Nothing moves on my cousins power wheelchair to
> indicate a left to is coming up, so it throws the dog off heel when she cuts
> over in front of it. She can't give a vocal command to turn left either
> because that would call for a deduction of points when they do go to compete
> for
> her CD. There has to be someway to do get this done. Any advice would be
> appreciated.
>

> Thanks much,
> Bonnie Jenkins

Don't let your dream ride pass you by.    Make it a reality with Yahoo! Autos.