[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Interesting Article in Dogs in Review

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:20:21 EST

In a message dated 12/1/2004 6:02:41 PM Mountain Standard Time,
pmick@xxxxxxxxx writes:
    Yes, Shepherds seem to require handlers more than others, but don't kid
yourselves, there are handlers at all the other national specialties as well.
Even toy dogs have professional handlers.  Of course, none of them get the
prices our handlers do, but then, none of them have to run as much, that's true.
    I didn't think the discussion dealt with who did the handling.  I thought
it had to do with the dogs and numbers.  Are you trying to say that Shepherd
numbers are down because there aren't many owner handlers?
Peggy
-------------------
I'm not saying there are no handlers at other specialties - but they have a
much
wider selection of handlers available so costs are less.  They can also
enter other dogs and owner handle them.  I saw some of my KC member friends
at both the Malamute and Sheltie nationals and they were there with multiple
dogs of all ages and no handlers.  I know a few sheltie breeders who each
had over 8 dogs entered - if they had to pay $100 to $1000 handling fee for
each one, I suspect they would have left most of them home!

Our top handlers do a great job and earn their fees, but the expense does
increase the cost of each dog entered, and for owners who MUST use a
handler, it can affect the decision on how many dogs to enter.  There were
several people I talked with who told me they had dogs at home they
had wanted to enter, but either could not get a handler they thought would
do their dog justice, or could only afford one or two handling fees, so the
others stayed home.

I was just mentioning this as one factor -  I know there are other
issues as well.

Janice