[ SHOWGSD-L ] Interesting Article in Dogs in Review

  • From: Diane Brantley <texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:28:01 -0800 (PST)

There is an interesting article in the Dec 2004 issue of Dogs in
Review entitled "How Special are Specialties".  The author is Bo
Bengston. It is research and stats on specialty shows held in 2003.
There were over 2,000 specialty shows held in 2003 and 167 of them
were GSD specialty shows.  Other popular breeds like Goldens and
Labs had only 51 and 36 specialties respectively.  The Golden
National had 790 entries and the Lab National had 726.  The Golden
National had the most entries of any specialty in 2003.  Number 10
on the list was the Newfie National with 416 entries.  The GSD
National only had 270 entries-- not enough to even make the top 10
and the was only one other GSD specialty show with more than 100
entries in 2003.  The average GSD specialty entry for 2003 was 48,
several shows had just a few dozen entries.  The author wondered if
we were tired of so many specialties and if the PC was unhappy with
all of the small specialties since it only did one show a year. The author was
surprised that the entries were so small since GSD's are the 4th
most popular AKC breed.  Does anyone have opinions on why our
specialty shows are so poorly attended?
Diane