[ SHOWGSD-L ] Insist to persist.....

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:58:01 -0500

Hi:  Because this is out of my "expertise", I knew some people on the
list would know much more about it than me.  I have a young 11 month old
bitch who is an extremely intelligent girl.  I did not breed her, but
bought her at 9 1/2 months old.   Right from the beginning, I've noticed
she has a keen sense of smell and is very inquisitive when we are
outside.  She must investigate everything.  I live in the country with
alot of woods behind the house.  She always is picking up smells and
it's like her nose is sometimes stuck to the ground.  If she gets a
scent, forget about trying to distract her.  She's glued to that spot.
If I pull her in another direction, she constantly goes back to whatever
she got a smell of.  She is a very independent dog and always wants her
way.  (It doesn't help, that I've extremely spoiled her).  She is slowly
trying to inch her way up on the bed......even though this is not
something I encourage.  I call her my "insist to persist" dog.  She
doesn't take no for an answer very often.  Curious, inquisitive,
intelligent....call it what you may, but I think she'd make an excellent
tracking dog, and that is why I write this letter.  Could those of you
who are involved in tracking, rescue work please let me know what it
entails?  How do you train them, who do you go to to help you train
them, how do you know if this is the type of work for them?    I started
out in obedience years ago, and then did nothing but conformation from
that point on.  But I believe we should utilize our dogs where their
best attributes are.  Besides it's something different and might prove
fun for her and me.  That is KEY, I want it to be FUN for her.  Thanks,
Barbara Galasso