[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Innocent until proven Guilty??? way OT

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:29:05 EDT

The phrase "innocent until "PROVEN" guilty always interested me.   It seems
to me that it's presumed innocent until judged guilty...etc....   There are
some innocents incarcerated, and guilty walking free, so I did some looking.
found this on a UK board.   The whole thread was fascinating.

"http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/22/messages/616.html";

: The Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution reads, in part, "No person
shall be ... deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law
..."

: What this means, in plain terms, is that constitutionally you cannot be
executed, imprisoned, or fined without the proper course of justice taking
place.As you found out, due process, itself, is not defined in the
constitution, but
is universally recognized as meaning what we term as "a fair trial."

: Going forward from there, a fair trial by a jury of one's peers requires
that the jurors approach the case with the thought that the prosecution is
required to prove the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Since the
trial
begins with the prosecution not having introduced a single piece of evidence,
it follows that a defendant must be innocent, until proven guilty.

So, the meaning of "..innocent until proven guilty.." derives from the fifth
amendment

~~~~~~~~
Stormy Hope
California Federation of Dog Clubs