[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Information on "odd" dogs??

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 15:34:26 -0800

Nah....Not kept in stalls .... but a big area. Horses are like most animals
and tend to 'use'
one corner area. Anyway....our Farrier always made sure the hooves were
clean before
he started as he didn't want to deal with a mess either. <G> He was a smart
old ranch hand
that took care of most of the horses in this area....including all the horses
that ran the well
known Tevis Cup in our area. ( an endurance race for horses of 100 miles in
one day over
18,000 feet of altitude changes from Squaw Valley, Ca. ( 1960 Olympics ) to
Auburn, Ca.. which
is about 20 miles from Sacramento, Ca. ... up out of Squaw Valley ( Ski runs )
down into deep
river gorges and forks of the American River and up over other mountain ranges.
) So he
knew all about hooves.... <G>
I digress ....but...nonetheless....dogs will eat many things given half a
chance....and I have a
hunch their ancestors did also.

PS......I don't chew side to side motion either. Does that mean I am in the
DOG GROUPIE? <G>

Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Pinehillgsds" for
DMARC)
Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Information on "odd" dogs??

Oh Lord yes, I would grab the horse hoof trimmings before a dog could get them.
After all horses occasionally stand in poop and urine, dogs eat hoof trimmings
and OMG the stench!

My Rhett is crazy for orange veggies. Prefers roasted squash and sweet
potatoes to carrots. (I make him his own batch, no onions or sage). LOVES
dried sweet potato chips (like rawhide).

The dogs eat a variety of fruit if offered.

Kathy Salvucci, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/
<http://www.pinehillgsds.com/>
In a message dated 11/29/2015 5:01:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes: <http://www.pinehillgsds.com/>
<http://www.pinehillgsds.com/> In the wild....they get carbs from the gut of
their 'kill'.......but they are all pre-digested. <G>
<http://www.pinehillgsds.com/> Maybe our dogs are "odd".....( shut up Paul )
<G>
BUT left to their own...our dogs will always go into the garden and eat
Zucchini, & carrots. They also will pick blackberries with me...AND... they
ONLY pick and eat the ripe blackberries! <G> Also, some seem to like
Cantaloupe rind. When I managed a restaurant I brought home all the cores of
the lettuce that was removed from the lettuce that day in a big box to feed to
the geese we had. The dogs would line up on one side, and the geese on the
other and all would SNATCH a lettuce core for themselves and come back for more
if the geese left any.
Also....when we had
horses and had them shod...the dogs would line up and wait for their share of
horse hoof trimmings to eat....with RELISH. The Farrier said almost all of
his clients dogs would do that if allowed. I personally don't
think we can pinpoint exactly what they MUST eat or used to eat for
survival...and nothing else should be allowed in their diet......except maybe
no Chocolate. <G>
<http://www.pinehillgsds.com/> Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://www.pinehillgsds.com/> www.marhaven.com
<http://www.pinehillgsds.com/>