[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Information on a Bi Color

  • From: Lealynn@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:17:08 EDT

In a message dated 7/10/2009 12:12:47 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
you'll  get lots of different views on what folks believe a Bi-color  is...

The first things I look for to determine if a predominately  black dog is a
bi-color is stenciled toes, black toe nails, black hocks,  and if the color
separation from black to tan on their  leg is sharp.
Bi-colors can have tan dots or not on the face/head.  They can also  have a
white splash on their chest.  They don't always have gray  undercoats.  You
can sometimes look at the pedigree also to see if a  bi-color is possible
from the combination.

When I try to explain basic color inheritance, I use the following  "card
trick" for visualization.
Sable = Ace
Black/Tan = King
Bi-color = Queen
Black = Jack
Each dog has 2 cards.  When they're bred, you take one card from each  dog
and put them together and that will tell you the resulting progeny's
possible color.  If one parent has 2 aces, and the other has 2 kings  or any
other
combination...when that one parent gives his ace, that will trump (  or
match) any other card given from the other parent.
Conversely, if one parent has 2 Jacks, it will always be trumped (or
matched) by whatever card the other parent gives.

Liz
_www.lealynn.com_ (http://www.lealynn.com/)
GSDCA member since  1976
Signers of the Breeders Code