[ SHOWGSD-L ] Info re Barn Hunt

  • From: Shirley <alma_gsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 20:21:06 -0800

So many people asked questions about Barn Hunt, I thought I'd send some
more information.

The organization that puts these events on is Barn Hunt Association,
LLC.  Their website is www.barnhunt.com   You have to get a Barn Hunt
number to participate in Barn Hunt Association events.

The title is not an AKC title but you can have it added to your dog's
pedigree with AKC.  I haven't explored doing that yet so don't quite
know the process.  The Barn Hunt website explains this in better detail.

The rats used are pet rats.  I never even saw them.  One of the trial
secretaries has some interesting stories to tell about how she procured
rats for the trial.  Her stories are quite amusing.  One of the
participants I talked to raises her own rats, a cross breed of pet and
wild.  I don't plan to get into that!

Sara has completed titles at the Instinct and Novice level.  I have
watched dogs compete at the Open level (have to find more rats and go
through more obstacles) and I think there is an even higher level.  The
sport is so new here on the west coast, that I don't think anyone is
competing at higher than Open at this point.  The first trials were held
in the east and the sport has gradually moved west.

I live in Gridley, CA (north of Sacramento).  The next trials near me
are in Santa Rosa (three trials over two days).  I just got an email
that they are having a practice session at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds
on 12/20.

The Barn Hunt site lists Fun events and Trials all over the country.

The thing I had to learn was how to "read" my dog when she found the
rat.  The dogs are all different.  One dog froze and stared.  One dog
chattered her teeth.  Most of the dogs paw at and bite at the plastic
tube the rat is in.  Sara quickly figured out this new game.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Shirley