[ SHOWGSD-L ] Infiltrate and educate

  • From: TerraNorte@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:39:19 EST

It never ceases to amaze me when I hear people going on and on about how  the
all-breed ring just doesn't get it. They never hire the judges we like, the
rings are too small, the reps watch us like hawks, showing is not any
fun.......  Bah, Humbug!!!!!

How many of you that are complaining are members of your local all-breed
clubs? You can't complain about the judges selection when you haven't tried to
effect the outcome. Want bigger rings? Join the club and make suggestions.

I am the show chair for the Buckhorn Valley Kennel Club in Northern
Colorado. We use Onofrio as our show superintendent. We always have early ring
times,
big rings, and GSD breeder judges. I have a very good relationship with  the
AKC field reps who oversee our shows. This is because I work closely with
them to assure that we will have a safe, successful show. The only time they
are
hanging out at the GSD ring is when they are observing a provisional judge or
 because I have called them over.

Most clubs are run by people who have other breeds, they are concerned  about
what they don't understand. They make a big deal of putting the "no double
handling" verbiage in the premium lists, they are the ones who ask the rep to
keep an eye on those crazy GSD people, and they are more concerned about the
aspects of their breed being addressed (grooming space for the poodle people,
appropriate crate/sitting space for the obedience crowd, etc.) then what you
want.

At the same time, I don't know a club who couldn't use another member.  Start
being a part of the solution instead of complaining. At a minimum, find  out
who the judges selection committee is for your local club and offer a list  of
suggested judges. Also offer to do a supported entry at the show. For those
who aren't familiar with this, a breed club provides trophies for its breed to
 show support to the exhibitors (not the judge). BVKC offers a rebate program
 where we will rebate a $1 per entry back to the breed club if they will
provide  prizes for BOB, BOS, BOW, WD, and WB. Every club has a box with
unclaimed
or  extra trophies that could be utilized. Start building a relationship with
 these clubs and you will find that they will be more receptive to  your
requests and less concerned about doubling, etc.

I guarantee that a well placed semi active member will be much more
effective than a nasty complaint letter. Infiltrate and educate - it will  make
positive difference to both you and the club.

~ Val Manning
   Rancho Terra Norte'
   Wellington, CO