[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Inducing labor

  • From: ORSuite@xxxxxxx
  • To: vomkristallaugen@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:16:14 EDT

Just an opinion from my vet.  He never believes in starting  (inducing?)
labor until after the first pup has been delivered.   This  way, you know she
can
pass it.  If you do, and there is a pup who could get  stuck in the canal, it
could jeopardize the whole litter, not to mention cause  problems for the
bitch.  Small litters don't necessarily equate with  c-sections.  I guess
whether
or not a section is necessary, that can be a  judgement call on you and your
vet.  There are factors to consider.   Is this her first litter, being one of
them, age(not always a factor but one to  consider) and has  she had trouble in
the past. These aren't the only  things, I'm sure and there are probably
folks who had one or more things happen  without, but if there is a problem,
please do check with your vet.  I've  seen sections done on the bitch for
remaining
pups if they were way too big for  passing and the bitch was distressed or
she lost inertia.  So, unless there  is some underlying factor or problem,
automatically opting for a c-section is  not the way to go.  But, bitch safety
and
concern are what counts  here.
   For what it is worth.
"Do Right and  Fear No One" --from the Stephanitz Family  Crest