[ SHOWGSD-L ] Incontinence and rabies vaccinations?

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 14:03:42 -0700

I was talking with a dog-friend today and she was telling me when she
altered her bitch at 7 months of age she was incontinent right afterwards --
Now having to give her hormones to control that problem -- not just a leak
but a full blown-bladder-blast with absolutely no control. Her vet told her
that when she gets even older we'll have to increase her hormone dosage. And
she felt it could've had something to do with her unknown breeding as well.
Is it possible that the vet could've made some kind of error when altering
this bitch? I've altered a bitch at 6 months, 7 months 2.5 years, 5 years,
etc., & never ran into that problem as of yet thank goodness. I do
obedience/agility with a gal who adopted a mix bitch Gracie that was altered
at 9 wks. I freaked out when I heard that. Gracie is now 5 with no health
issues so far. Has anyone had incontinent issues with spaying at a young
age?

Also was talking with the same woman about the skunks in our area because of
the open land around us. I was asked if I had a chain fence, or a board
fence so the skunks couldn't spray my dogs. Thank heavens I have board
because my neighbors have chain & the skunks have gotten their Catahoula
hound a number of times through the chain. Not only are the skunks out by
numbers at times they don't seem afraid of us. Now, does that mean they are
rabid or just friendly? BOTH! My vet told me that even the darn things can
carry for rabies but not rabid. And if they even snort/spit with their
salvia your cat/dog can be affected. Well, they have their rabies shots
right? The vet said then: "I can't even confirm if the rabies shots are
fully affective because there hasn't been full proof to that." WHAT?! This
is the first time I've heard such a thing. Three year rabies vaccinations' -
does that mean your dog/cat is less protective possibly at the second to
third year ending? Or is it really true that there's no proof to the vac's
full protection if infected by any rabid animal? I know we have a vet on
board here could you please give us some info on incontinence altering at a
certain age & are we really fully protected with our rabies vac's? Thank you
for any confirmed info out there. Kathy Partch www.JoKaySedona.com
<http://www.jokaysedona.com/>

http://showgsd.org/mail.html