[ SHOWGSD-L ] Inclusivity

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 14:51:46 EDT

In the interest of being "inclusive" of all animals.   If we expect people to
fight for our dogs, we MUST fight for their interests.   And I think of
AmyTortoise :-)
 Here's the long and short of it. Texas is revising thier non-game
wildlife regulations to ban the commercial harvest/use of Texas
turtles. This is good science and should be applauded. HOWEVER, the
new regs will not allow the keeping of more than six of any given
native species. Texas has a "white list" of non-game species that can
be used for commercial purposes. If you have more than six of a
species NOT on the "white list", you'll be considered in violation as
having them for commercial purposes.

This means, in all reality, that hobby breeding of native turtles (and
any native reptiles or amphibians not on the "white list") will be
illegal, as one clutch of eggs could put you over the legal "non-
commercial" limit.

Many turtles will readily breed in captivity if given the proper
husbandry. Hobbyists in other states such as Maryland and New Jersey
are allowed to keep, breed, and trade or give away native captive bred
turtles with a permit. Why can't Texas do the same? If you'd like to
comment on proposed Texas regulations to allow a hobby permit for the
breeding and trading (non-commercial use) of native reptiles, please
visit the following website before May 21st.

You'll have to enter a TX county for your comments to be "valid".
*Non-resident comments will not be valid.*

Here is a list of some Texas counties and the county seats. I still
have family in Coryell and Bell, so they'll be commenting.

Bastrop County (Bastrop)
Bell County (Belton)
Coryell County (Gatesville)
Harris County (Houston)