[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Inbreeding--a tool to the test of your line

  • From: Penny & Bill <ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 17:34:54 -0400

Excellent points, both Kathy and Chris.  HOMEWORK--even 30 years ago,
when I started--some people weren't willing to do it.  KNOW YOUR
pedigrees, applaud a success, admit a failure, be honest!
Penny in NC

Hi Kathy

I'm not a total newbie, but your post was GREAT.  I hope people take
the time to read it.  Even if one has bred 20+ years, it is worth re-
reading some of the basics you point out.  Not many of the new people
are patient enough or know the pedigrees enough to really know how to
"look" 20 years into the future.  In my opinion, that is the biggest
problem in our breed today as far as the human factor.  Everyone wants
a quick fix or an overnight success.  It does not work that way
usually.  Sometimes a person gets lucky and has a dynamite litter the
first time, but that is rare.  The homework and patience it takes is
not what most "new" people to the breed want to invest in.  You gave
GREAT advice, thanks for taking the time to put all that in black &
white.

Take care, have a great rest of the week.

Chris