[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: In the "news"

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <TISHW@xxxxxxx>, <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>, <fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 08:16:16 -0400

Although I do not agree with this vet "bad-mouthing" GSDs, I have to agree
with some of his assessments.  When I began breeding and showing under the
tutelage of my mentor and best friend Ellen Heintz in the 1970s, I DID NOT
SEE the multitudinous problems that I AM seeing today.  I DID see DM.  But
within the last 10 years, I have BOUGHT dogs that died of bloat, torsion and
toxic gut.  I have acquired dogs that had 2 UAP elbows, one that had to be
put to sleep due to crippling hip dysplasia.  Bad temperament?  Let's not
even talk about that.  AND, despite careful research over 5 years ago, MY
LAST LITTER contained toxic gut, bloat, torsion, bad hips and elbows.  Then
the dam, my beloved Jeddie, bloated and died at our handler's.  These
examples are from all different bloodlines, up front at least.  Carolyn is
right when she says "most of us would not last long in this breed."  I have
almost quit MANY times.

Take off the blinders, folks.  There are problems.

Penny in NC
The Farm Dog Forever
Member, GSDCA since 1981

I totally disagree with this assessment of the Breed by this Vet!!  Some
of us may have seen one of these problems over the years or at most two;
but to experience these as ongoing consistent problems...I DON'T THINK SO!
Otherwise most of us would not last long at all in this Breed.
No one could stomach that.....
It is unfortunate that someone like this comes off as an expert.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

Thanks Stormy.  I've been around a long time and I don't think GSDs  have
any more problems than any other breeds.
Tish

veterinarian  wouldn't mind seeing less Of" writes:
> "German Shepherd: A good German  Shepherd is an awe-inspiring dog, and
the best have served in so many ways.  German Shepherds were the original
service dogs for people who can’t see, and  they’ve long been used for
police
and military work, and for search and  rescue. Their popularity has been
pretty steady since the days of Rin Tin Tin,  but the problems with the
health
of the breed seem to have increased with  every decade. German Shepherds are
prone to epilepsy, vision problems,  bleeding disorders and digestive
problems, as well as bad hips and  degenerative myelopathy, an incurable
condition
that causes progressive  paralysis. The German Shepherd is the world’s
first media-darling dog, and  remains the classic example of the problems of
popularity."