[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: In Case of Emergency

  • From: "LEE SMITH" <ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 17:29:00 -0400

When we are gone, the following is how Sam and I handle emergencies. We
leave the kennel or house sitter (we prefer a house sitter) the name and
phone number of our vet, plus the number of a 24-hour emergency clinic.

If we are unavailable and prior to leaving, we contact the vet and let them
know who will be taking care of our animals and that we give him or her (the
vet) permission to do any- and everything needed. For our long time vet in
PA, we didn't need to do anything else. Here in Florida and without a long
history, we give the vet, who also is a 24-hour vet,  a credit card number
and sign a document.

I should mention that we trust both vets and put the decision making process
into their hands and not into hands of a kennel (I wouldn't feel comfortable
with the level of knowledge needed to make a decision.) or a pet sitter, who
usually is a friend because I don't want him or her to have to make the
kinds of hard decisions we all dread.  We also are very careful that the vet
or vets we choose understand our wishes and, on a philosophical level, agree
with our beliefs.

Of course, contacting us is always the first priority, but emergencies are
emergencies and often there may not be enough time to find us.

Regards,
Lee Smith