[ SHOWGSD-L ] Important information

  • From: Gail Sprock <gsprock@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:39:39 -0700

Permission given for posting and cross-posting. --Gail Sprock

This was sent to me by someone who has been integral in the AB 1634
and BSL fights. I doubt that the HSUS is housing any of Vick's dogs,
as they didn't house any Katrina dogs. They just collect money. It
makes me sad that such a powerful, media and political savvy
organization is using animals to further their own cause, much to the
ignorance of its givers. Before you even consider donating to HSUS
please read  the below information about them.
Many many dogs were taken from legit rescues at the time of Katrina
  by HSUS...they simply disappeared. All the money raised by HSUS at
  the time of this catastrophe was used for?? Not for caring for
  animals I am sure! Please forward

  Donate to HSUS for Vick Dogs - NOT

  While I know we understand this, it is important to reach out to
  others who do not understand it as we do.

  The Humane Society of the United States has mounted a huge campaign to
  raise money to care for the dogs rescued from Michael Vick's
  dogfighting ring. The plea comes complete with a heartbreaking
  picture of one of the injured dogs. (Not surprisingly, studies have
  shown that people donate more when shown a picture of or told a
  story about a single animal needing help. (HSUS is very clever at
  fundraising.) But before you contribute, please note:

  1) There is a disclaimer in fine print at the bottom of the form
  which says your donation may be used for other HSUS programs and
  may not be used to help the dog fight victims.

  2) There has been no accounting for the nearly $20 million HSUS
  raised for the Katrina dogs and cats. The organization is under
  investigation by the Louisiana Attorney General for their handling
  of that situation.

3) HSUS has NO shelter. It is a corporate office building in
  Washington, DC. is supposedly "overseeing" the care of the dogs
  that were seized from Vick's house, but we don't know where the
  animals are, Will the shelter actually providing their care receive
  all the donations this campaign generates?

  4) There is no reason to believe that your contributions will go to
  help the dogs seized from Michael Vick or any other dogs or cats.
  HSUS spends most of its money on legislative efforts to make dog
  breeding impossible and pet ownership more difficult, more
  expensive, and more dangerous.

5) HSUS claims its servers crashed from the response to their first
  appeal for money for these dogs, yet they are still out there
  beating the drum for more money, still claiming more is needed for
  the Vick dogs. And if you are still considering writing that check,
read the following quotes from Wayne Pacelle, president of HSUS:

  "I don't have a hands-on fondness for animals...To this day I don't
  feel bonded to any non-human animal. I like them and I pet them and
  I'm kind to them, but there's no special bond between me and other
  animals." quoted in Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted
  Kerasote, 1993, p. 251.

  "We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals. They
  are creations of human selective breeding." quoted in Animal
  People, May, 1993.

  When asked if he envisioned a future without pets: "If I had my
  personal view, perhaps that might take hold. In fact, I don't want
  to see another dog or cat born." Wayne Pacelle quoted in Bloodties:
  Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote, 1993, p. 266.

Where are the millions in contributions they already receive every
  year? If you have money to contribute, please send it to your
  *local* shelter. Donations received by local shelters do help
  animals. The money sent to HSUS does not.