[ SHOWGSD-L ] Important Info That could Save Your Dog -- Hook Worms

  • From: Kizwiz@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 00:55:49 EST

thought this might be of interest to all

I had a tragic experience here and I want  to let others know about it so
maybe I can save someone else the same  heartache.
I got a new dog just before Christmas, 2  weeks later he was dead. He was 3
years old and showed no signs  of being sick except for blowing coat, which is
normal for shelties  and he began to drink a lot of water. The cause of his
death was hook  worms. Now before you start saying "he wasn't cared for
properly, he  should have been on worm meds" He was on worm meds.

Now if you don't know exactly what hook  worms do, I will explain. They bite
into the intestine and make a hole  and suck blood through this hole until it
clots over, then they move  to another spot and bite again. Each worm can suck
.01 ml of blood  each 24 hours. Multiply that by 100's even 1000's and you
can see that  it doesn't take long for the dog to loose a lot of blood. That is
why  he began drinking a lot of water, he was going anemic But, if you  catch
it in time and worm the dog, odds are that it will still die as  it now has
all these holes in the intestine and the odds of infection  are very great.
This
is a terrible thing to happen to a dog and I am  thankful that he did not
suffer very long.

The following info I have discovered  since his death and was wondering how
many other people out there  "think" their dogs are "protected" when they
really are not  "fully protected".

First- there are 3 different kinds of  hook worms. Of course all are not
located in all areas of the  country, they have zones in which they live. So
some
vets may not be  aware of the risk from all 3 types of worms. But how many of
you  either travel with your dog or send it with a handler to  different parts
of the country? It only takes a second for your dog to  be in the wrong place
at the wrong time to pick up one of these  worms.

Second- not all wormer meds are able  to kill all 3 types of hookworms. Now
if you read the heart worm box for Interceptor it says in  big clear letters
that it "takes care of adult hook worms" along with  the rest. BUT if you read
the paper insert that comes inside the box,  it says that it only kills 1 kind
of hookworm. So if your dog has hook  worms of the other 2 varieties, they are
not being killed, but you  think your dog is protected. The only kind of
wormers that kill all 3  kinds of hookworms is Ivermectin and Pyrantel. This is
from the Merck  Vet. Manual, here is a link http://www.merckvet  manual.com/
mvm/index. jsp?cfile= htm/bc/23507.  htm&word=hookworms

OK so how many of  you have been told to NEVER use Ivermectin because  of the
problems it can cause with "collie type" breeds?? I for one  have stayed away
from it for the 15 years that I have had shelties,  and I Thank GOD that I
did not have this tragedy happen to me years  ago. My question is: in 15 years
of having shelties, I have had 4  different vets and not a one of them ever
said that my dogs were not  protected from ALL worms. WHY??? It took this
tragedy
and my NEW vet  to inform me of the truth. He also informed me that it is
safe to give  Ivermectin. Well, I balked at that one and came home and
researched
it  for myself. Sure enough, if you go to the Washington State University
website, the people who developed the test to check for the mutated  gene, they
say that giving Ivermectin, in the low doses to prevent  heartworms, is safe
even for the dogs that HAVE the mutated gene. I  don't know how you feel about
this but I am inclined to believe them  and I believe we need to "spread the
word" so our Collie type  breeds can be fully protected against ALL worms.
Here is a link to the WSU site http://www.vetmed. wsu.edu/depts- VCPL/drugs.
aspx

I hope this helps someone else from  having to go through the tragedy of
loosing a dog  needlessly. Please feel free to cross post to other  lists.

Kim Bond
www.quiltingcove. com
Meet the Sheltie Gang and  see the 'Original Ribbon  Quilts'

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)