[ SHOWGSD-L ] Important

  • From: helenfranklin520@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 22:15:09 -0400

This is an email from your President Gail Hardcastle regarding Joan Fox.
The current lawsuit is waiting for review on appeal. It could take months so
we are just being patient. The individuals that were sued prevailed in the
appeal process and no charges are against them at this time. The GSDCA is
awaiting the appeal decision and we hope to prevail.

Because of this lawsuit our deductible on our insurance was raised to
$10,000. We had to pay each of two companies $2500 for deductibles on the
present suit. If we are sued again we will likely need to pay $20,000 and we
would probably lose our insurance.

The rumblings that you are hearing are regarding the threat of a new
lawsuit. In January 2008 we received a letter from AKC finding one of our
Directors guilty of conflict of interest in judging a futurity. Our
precedent, as you know, has been to bar that judge from judging a national
or futurity for five years. We applied this same sanction to another judge
the previous year and the concerned individual sat through those preceedings
and voted to apply the 5 year penalty. This was also done a few years ago to
another futurity judge.

In an attempt not to embarrass the Director we gave her the 5 year penalty
as per our precedent with previous judges. We did this in closed session
with the actions recorded in the minutes of that session.

In March or April of this year we received a letter from an attorney
representing this director asking us many questions. The Exec committee with
ratification by the Board sent a response to the attorney referring her to
the AKC legal department and including the letters from AKC to the Judge,
and to the exhibitors, removing their wins. These were not actions taken by
the Board, rather by AKC.

This week the directors all received certified letters from Lisa Summers. We
were given less than two weeks to respond. We will again answer this letter
informing her that she needs to take up this matter with the AKC. I suppose
that I am sharing this information with you for several reasons. I think
that is is shameful to threaten or strong arm board members. These are hard
working dedicated individuals who have been told that they may be held
personally responsible in a law suit and that they should contact their
personal attorneys. We already know that the club is covered with a very
comprehensive Officers and Directors policy. We have lost several great
directors and officers in the past for this very reason. I will be happy to
forward the letter that we received to anyone concerned as our members have
the right to know what is going on with their club. I can't send attachments
to the lists. I did scan it and maybe someone can get it into word so that
it can be distributed.

Our club is strong and basically harmonious. Two current board members have
caused upheaval for the past year and a half. They take time away from
promoting the German Shepherd Dog and helping our regional clubs. We have
proceeded despite their shenanigans.

Thank you all for your well wishes after my last post. I am feeling great
now and anxious to make up for lost time at my post. I would also like to
publicly apologize for any and all comments that I made about the Board's
actions in my absence from the April meeting. Sometimes when we are angry we
lash out at those closest to us. They accomplished many important tasks and
did not deserve any contrived criticism from me. I was mad at myself and
acted rashly. I am sorry.

Take care of yourselves and those closest to you.
Gail

Helen Franklin
44 Year Member GSDCA
Put an A O E in the Ped-i-gree