[ SHOWGSD-L ] Immune-Mediated Polyarthritis

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:21:22 -0500

Some of you may have read the post I made re. the dog with a swollen hock who
became very ill after I returned from the National.  Well, here's an update...

Turns out he developed Immune-Mediated Polyarthritis from a bite or perhaps a
tick disease.  (The tests were inconclusive for the tick diseases.)  Anyhow, it
doesn't matter what set his immune system into overdrive as the treatment is
the same -- high doses of Prednisone.  He's also on Doxcycline.

He's doing well now, but is still a bit weak and emaciated.  But, he's playing
and eating!  This disease can be devastating.  I thought my boy was as good as
dead.  I've talked to others about this rotten disease and their dogs were
extremely ill and suffered greatly as well.

Most dogs do recover, but the high does of Prednisone are crucial to recovery.
A fair number of dogs will relapse -- especially if the steroidal treatment is
not continued long enough or at a high enough dosage.

I'm a very happy and *thankful* doggie mom right now!  I hope everyone has a
wonderful Thanksgiving and has a lot for which to be thankful too!

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam