[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Immaculate conception again

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:28:27 -0500

Sorry I'm jumping into this discussion kind of late, but I'm just getting
caught up on list mail...

Jim writes:  "The  first German Shepherd Horand v Grafwarth was born in 1895
and was not the result of breeding different breeds.  Every GSD person  should
know this."

Then, Evan writes:  "And, what was he the result of?   A miracle?  He had to
come  from something, if he was the first. Or, is this a chicken and egg
thing."   "And he was bred to another animal from what breed?  There is no way
to deny that our breed had a start, and was not born full blown from German
shepherds."

How does any breed get it's start?  Sometimes it's through the combinatorics of
established breeds.  Other times it's through the selective breeding of
phenotypically similar "mutts" to produce a desired type and/or special
function.  Then again, it could be through natural selection in an
environmental microcosm with a limited gene pool.  On the rare occasion, there
may suddenly appear a freak of nature who is prepotent for his freakiness and a
new breed is born rather dramatically.

From everything I've read, Horand was the product of selectively bred Germanic
herding types, i.e. "mutts" that were good at herding.  Horand was not the
combination of two or more distinct breeds.......Just as Jim  pointed out.
Nowhere in Jim's posts did I read that he claimed Horand came from two GSD's.
Rather, Horand was the product of two dogs that were *phenotypically similar*
to the Breed as we know it today.  They didn't look like Terriers or Bulldogs
did they?  No, they looked more like German Shepherds.  (High butt and all.
<G>)  Just because Horand's parents weren't officially given the name "German
Shepherd Dogs" doesn't mean they didn't exhibit the breed type.

Yes, it is the chicken and the egg thing, Evan.  In this case, if the dog and
his phenotype are the chicken, and the egg is the official naming of this
phenotype/dog, then the chicken definitely came first.  The pronouncement by
von Stephanitz that Horand shall henceforth be known as a "German Shepherd Dog"
didn't change the dog, his phenotype or his genetic makeup.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam