[ SHOWGSD-L ] Immaculate conception again

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@freelists. org" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:00:45 -0800

Jim is right here, the registration of dogs and standardization of breeds
was as ne as the GSD...
According to Barron's Dog Bible, The German Shepherd:

"In the mid to late 1800’s in Europe, there was an attempt to standardize
dog breeds and to secure the traits for which they were bred. In 1891 the
Phylax Society was formed in Germany with the stated goal of standardizing
dog breeds. Although they lasted only a few short years they did provide the
inspiration for many breeds to begin the process of standardization and for
other breeds to be developed. It was in this period that an ex-cavalry
captain, Max von Stephanitz began his work to create a superior herding dog.
In 1899, Capt. Max attended a dog show and was attracted to a dog named,
Hektor Linksrhein.  He was so taken with the intelligence and working
abilities of this dog that he purchased him and changed his name to Horand
von Grafrath. He then founded the Verein fur Schaferhunde (the Society for
German Shepherd Dogs) and Horand became the first registered dog in the
society and the father of the breed."

I remember this very clearly... <g>
Dave

I don't know but I am going to guess that Horand was the result of two
animals who were similar in type.  Horand came about when the whole
concept of registering purebred  dogs was introduced in Germany.  If
he we were the result of an outcross of two different types then
inbreeding on him would have been problematic producing two types of
progeny and I don't think that happened.