[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I'm going to tell you a secret

  • From: "Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:42:37 -0700

James Moses in  Copyright 1974 thoughts…

The German Shepherd Today

The German Shepherd Today 1st Edition written by Winifred Gibson
Strickland and James A. Moses of why the color white was not desirable.

I own the New and Revised Edition of the books.

"White German Shepherds have always existed in the breed, as they are
mentioned in its earliest histories.  They are not to be confused with  albinos
as the true albino has pink eyes and nose, while many white German  Shepherd
Dogs have dark eyes and black noses.  Nevertheless, the whites  have never
been considered desirable and certainly no serious breeders have ever
sought deliberately to breed this color.

The so-called whites are disqualified under the German Shepherd Dog
Standard.  Degeneration is indicated by the lack of color and most all the
so-called whites have a bit of tan or buff color on them.  They are of no  use
the armed services, police forces, guide dog schools for the blind, or
sheepherders because white is obviously the wrong color for this work.   Also,
white dog hairs are too noticeable on uniforms or business suits.   They can
only be used as pets and any breeder who is unfortunate enough to find  a
white puppy in his litter should either dispose of it or sell it without
registration papers."

German Shepherd Dog Review August 2013 Jimmy Moses thoughts

"    Today we have a better understanding of genetics and know that white
is merely the expression of a masking gene which in no way dilutes the
underlying pigment of the progeny nor does this gene produce albinism.
(We also know that the world is not flat, and it is safe to sail on. ) Whites
are genetically GSDs, just as sable, black/tan, black/red, and black.

     White coat color occurs when two animals carrying the recessive
white masking gene are bred together, essentially the same way we get
solid blacks or long coats.  If the white is masking a black and red, and is
bred to
another black and red, the puppies will be black and red, or whatever color the
puppies would be without the presence of masking genes.  So the old supposition
that white GSDs produce faded pigment or albinos has no merit.  There are no
lethal
genes associated with the white masking gene in GSDs as one sees in other breeds
with white animals, such as Boxers and Danes.  So now that we have a better
understanding, why the continued prejudice? "

Just like the original book which is not Von Stephanitz works…

German Shepherd Dog in Word and Pictures
of Von Stephanitz work the newer Editions do omit,  add or remove
information and change it.

However it looks as though Jimmy Moses did change his mind but wonder why?

Theresa
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx

On Wed, 7/30/14, Linda Bankhead <lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  This is how I understand the facts:

 The AKC requires that any standard change be
 voted on by the membership and
 requires 2/3
 approval.  THANKFUL AKC has this is in place or we the
 members
 would have had these changes
 approved without our voice.

 According to the minutes; the conversation
 started only about coats.  Jim Moses
 recommended they committee also consider white GSD's.

 We are now facing not just a
 long coat change.  Dogs without black noses
 are no longer DQ.  Our new proposed standard
 will further allow White
 GSD's, Livers,
 and Blues.

 Both White GSD
 Clubs have been lobbying  the GSDCA for years.  The one
 club
 wanted us to allow them to be a
 separate breed. The other club (pushing for
 the Standard change); are stuck because the AKC
 will not allow any more
 varieties.

 By all means correct me if I
 am wrong. I am a stick in the mud for facts;
 not innuendos or rumours.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html