[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Illustrated Standard...how good is it?

  • From: "Kay Reamensnyder" <bedkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx" <Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:51:03 -0800

The simple truth of the matter is that.................
the current illustrated standard is what is given to
"aspiring Judges of GSD" as a study guide.

If these judges put up the dogs that look like the current
illustrations, most of us would be extremely unhappy with them......
(oh..........BAD All Breed Judges!!!!!!).
If we want better judging then we have to supply better learning material.

If you think these illustrations are OK.........then maybe we should go back
to the old photos of original German Shepherds.........these are what Von
Stephanitz
developed.........and they certainly don't look anything like the American
or German
bred dogs of today.

As for agreeing on what is ideal, that will obviously never
happen.........what we need
to do is work on a compromise of what is acceptable to a majority of the
GSD fancy.

Kay

---Kay Reamensnyder and Betty Doerpinghaus
---bedkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
---VISIT OUR WEBSITE:http://home.earthlink.net/~bedkar

**

> *****
> I agree we need better pictures and Illustrations. Should be in color
rather
> than black and white.
>
> Lee Brown
>

>   JUST A THOUGHT OR TWO:   First, I don't believe that one size fits all
as
> to depicting the absolute IDEAL German  Shepherd as a Standard
> Illustration..... because  the Breed , here in the USA...is actually  not
that uniform in
> type to start with..
> I  am  not being difficult here..I mean it as a simple statement of
fact...
> .
>   We can perhaps find one with an Excellent   Head/  to illustrate
correct
> and Ideal Heads,  Ears and Carriage, Dog and  Bitch..... Then another
with an
> Excellent Forequarter  to illustrate the Ideal.. Then another with
Excellent
> Topline, Croup, Hindquarter Angulation/  . Necks, color, coat, etc. etc.
> etc....If you go to a Show and look down the line, say at Golden
Retrievers, they
> have differences in structure and movement, but over-all are quite
uniform in
> the Breed type, compared to GS'S...That's why we cannot all agree on an
IDEAL
> GS, as  depicted in a photo..  But Only, perhaps, and only offered as a
> suggestion   in several different drawings. Or Photos...of Different
Shepherds.