[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Illustrated Standard

  • From: "Rockenstein, Zoa L. " <zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juel@xxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:26:52 -0600

Judy wrote:

Putting my flame suit on, running for cover....
Answer? if the dogs in the ring don't match the standard, then logic would
dictate that's where to start changing things. We don't change the standard
to match what's in the ring.
Judy
Well said, Judy!  Not only that, but why don't we have something like a
breeder's study group that examines what happens in cases like losing our
fronts, dogs becoming too long, etc.?  I would love to hear a presentation at
the National on fronts, for instance, from a panel of prominent breeders.  The
Illustrated Standard is very helpful, but, I confess that there are still many
things I do not fully understand in spite of reading virtually everything that
has been written on our breed, going to shows, talking with people, etc.    I
think some seminars on specific issues, like fronts, coats, whatever, would be
great.  I would like to see some good film contrasting, and explaining, good
fronts vs lacking fronts.  I would like to hear each member of the panel
address something specific, like layback of the shoulder, correct upper arm
length, prosternum, etc.  Then I would like to hear them address the successful
strategies they have used in correcting problems in these areas.

Zoa Rockenstein