[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: If you were going to have another breed

  • From: Linda H. <stjamesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edenhill@xxxxxxxxxx>, <terrycochran97756@xxxxxxxxx>, showgsd list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:03:17 -0500

OK, I haven't seen the original of this thread but will jump in here.  I have
Tibetan Spaniels.  They are very sturdy little dogs and can fit in a 100, 200
or 300 crate.  They weigh from 9 to 15 lbs but a lot of them are getting
heavier than the standard calls for.  The thing I find interesting is that they
have the same wording in their standard as shepherds:  "aloof with strangers".
They are not yappy but will alert you when someone is approaching.  They have
very keen hearing.  Mine do like to all "sing" every once in a while.  I
impressed someone once while on the phone.  They started singing and I just
yelled at them to stop and there was instant quiet!  They love German Shepherds
and are very fearless little dogs.  My smallest one backed down a GSD with a
look once and another one of mine made friends with a huge male Rottie by
putting his paws on his shoulder and asking him to play.  It worked! One of my
fondest memories is when I attended my first Tibetan Spaniel specialty in Ft.
Walton Beach, FL in 2003.  They had us set up in a huge back room at the
fairgrounds.  Unfortunately, all the campers were set up behind our room.  If
another breed of dog came through they were not happy.  I was in the ring one
day and C. J. Favre tried to come in the back door with a large dog (maybe a
Golden).  Anyway, every Tibbie in that room stopped what they were doing and
started barking.  Even the ones in the ring were going at it!  C. J. just
stopped and got this sheepish look on his face.  He quickly backed out and went
around another way!  LOL! Linda HendrixGoose Creek, SC