[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: If you ask me

  • From: "pmick12" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 11:00:47 -0500

this is one of the most sensible posts Evan's ever sent to the list.
      Judges should be, simply, students of the breed..........(breeders
should, too, but many aren't).........and as I wrote to someone the other
night, even the best judge screws up sometimes.
      Not every good judge can explain his or her choices every time,
either, at least not to the satisfaction of the exhibitors...but over time,
looking back at the choices a judge has made...preferably before the dogs
chosen had attained fame, it should be possible to figure out whether a
particular judge gets it right most of the time..........which is all we can
ask, really.  I say most of the time because judges are only human, after
all...nobody is right all the time--and judges make mistakes.
    None of us want to be on the wrong end of the mistakes, of course...

        We also need to recognize that not everyone who breeds good dogs can
be a good judge.  Just because you like to eat doesn't mean you are going to
be a good cook, after all.
Peggy