[ SHOWGSD-L ] If you ask me

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:52:03 EST

In a message dated 11/1/09 8:11:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
then
they are failing in their primary duty of evaluating breeding  stock

This is the great problem between Kathleen and myself, and those who align
with one of us and not the other.

The judge does not evaluate breeding stock. As a matter of fact, we aren't
supposed to even know what the breedings are, in America. Not so in
Germany, but  here, we judge what we see in the ring against the standard. If
we
were to judge  breeding stock, we would have to know what the sire and dam
produced in the  past, what the stud dog is producing and then give an opinion.

I believe Kathleen agrees with me, and her successful breeding program
makes it clear she is not relying on what a judge does, but rather on what she
determines from studing pedigrees, watching the inside of the ring, and
maybe  considering who wins, but not using what any judge tells her.

It may be that I do not think we should depend on the judge to tell us what
 is good or what is not.  I know a coupld of judges who have no idea what
they are doing, and some that think the only thing to put up is what a
certain  handler has in the ring. I know judges who have a great deal of
knowledge of the  breed, but are forced to go with what is brought to them in
the
ring.  If  those outside the ring depend on what they put up, they should
first consider  what is being shown.

I see breeders like Kathleen doing a much better job of breeding than any
judge who is inside the ring. There are a very few successful
breeder/judges.  Consider who you know that judges our great breed, that is
also
breeding great dogs?  Often after one has a great dog, a Grand Victor  or Grand
Victor, that they then go get a judges license. Not because they know  so much,
but because as the years take their toil, it is another way to remain  in
the breed.

You, the breeder, should not depend on anyone else to tell you how to
breed.  What a judge puts up is just another opinion, and should be used as  a
tool, not as a determination of the quality of what is shown.

That is the clear decider.  It should always be up to you.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/