[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Iditarod

  • From: "Peggy M" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>, <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 14:36:18 -0400

Here's a little background on the race.......
The Spirit of Alaska! More Than a Race. a Commemoration
The race pits man and animal against nature, against wild Alaska at her best
and as each mile is covered, a tribute to Alaska's past is issued. The
Iditarod is a tie to - a commemoration of - that colorful past.

The Iditarod Trail, now a National Historic Trail, had its beginnings as a
mail and supply route from the coastal towns of Seward and Knik to the
interior mining camps at Flat, Ophir, Ruby and beyond to the west coast
communities of Unalakleet, Elim, Golovin, White Mountain and Nome. Mail and
supplies went in. Gold came out. All via dog sled. Heroes were made, legends
were born.

In 1925, part of the Iditarod Trail became a life saving highway for
epidemic-stricken Nome. Diphtheria threatened and serum had to be brought
in; again by intrepid dog mushers and their faithful hard-driving dogs.

The Iditarod is a commemoration of those yesterdays, a not-so-distant past
that Alaskans honor and are proud of.

(and the dog's name was Balto, not Baldo.........where WAS my mind when I
typed post below???)

Peggy