[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ideas for increasing membership - LONG

  • From: "Pam Stoesser" <pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 20:49:39 -0500

At the risk of being verbally assailed by certain members of this list
(which is why lots of List members lurk, by the way), I would like to offer
the following in the spirit of encouraging rather than discouraging.

Every club is made up of members.  The GSDCA/WDA is just one of thousands of
clubs for people of common interests.  Each of them has standing club rules,
by-laws, and policies and procedures.  Those are designed to encourage their
membership to participate in the types of activities that the club endorses.
There are: golf clubs, tennis clubs, horse clubs, airplane clubs, daylily
clubs, etc. and many people belong to more than 1 club in their lives.  Each
of them has programs only available to members.  If that were not so, why
would anyone join?

If you carefully read the various programs available through the GSDCA (AOE,
ROM, Dual Awards, Ch/Performance Pins), you might note that most of the
programs are stated positively, rather than negatively.  Special awards are
given to encourage members to show their dogs in all venues, including
conformation, agility, working, obedience, rally, herding, and tempermant
testing.  While not perfect (because it is made up of non-perfect people),
the GSDCA/WDA is the only national organization in this country working for
the improvement of the GSD breed as defined byt the GSD Standard.

This List is not the GSDCA.  "Sharing the love of the breed" isn't enough.
If all a person does is own a companion animal, they have done much for one
animal and may indeed be a good ambassador in a small area but will be able
to do more for the breed by participating in the GSDCA and their local breed
club.

I believe the GSDCA does listen to the ideas and suggestions of members and
non-members alike.  Just because they don't instantly hop up and cheer when
someone makes a suggestion or immediately implement the idea, it doesn't
mean they're not listening.  Perhaps there are other issues that the
suggesting person isn't aware of.

If you want to make a difference, join the GSDCA and volunteer.  I will
guarantee that you will receive more than you give if you put your heart
into it.

Pam Stoesser