[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ideas for Growth....

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx" <gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx>, DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 08:11:42 -0700

Some are already being done, others are against AKC rules. I agree about
the Review but as long as it needs ad pages to allow for other content, and
as long as the ads are run primarily by conformation exhibitors, it will be
limited.
some are changes I wish would happen also but have not found a method to
make them possible.
A well done Temperament Test is an available tool in evaluating an
untrained dog for IPO potential about the same way that an HCT evaluates
herding potential.
Ruth

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 7:59 AM, <gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can you share your ideas that might help the club grow? Here are some
ideas that I think might help help GSD owners who are not members to want
to participate and join GSDCA:

1) When I talk to other people who are GSD owners but not GSDCA members
they all say that not being able to show their own dog themselves in an
amateur-owner restricted class is one of the biggest reasons they do not
participate in conformation....our breed is too professional handler driven.

2) There is a lack of diversity featured in the Review. There should be
more articles and photos of GSDs doing all kinds of things.

3) The GSDCA should include more diversity in marketing and reach out more
to performance, IPO working, and also non-show people?

4) The GSDCA should create a system to reward GSD owners who do not show
their dog. Maybe provide a list of activities that could participate in
with their dog with point totals and when they reach a new milestone a
Certificate is awarded. Give people a reason to want to join the club.

5) Create an award system where a dog can be rated in conformation against
the standard and not against other competitors. So, people who don't want
to show in the ring could have their animals conformation and movement
evaluated without competing in conformation ring. It could just be a
separate Evaluation Class. This might be good for older or disabled members
as well. Thus, their dog can still be evaluated with a "rating". Maybe
allow both gaiting from side or lunging (owner stands in middle and dog
gaits around them) so those that are not as agile could still showcase the
movement of dog.

6) Have a 3 member judging panel at Nationals where there is a AKC
Specialty type judge, a Performance judge, and an SV judge. Dogs would get
points from all; points combined; and highest total wins. That way type,
movement, and ability to structural ability to do a job will be equally
evaluated.

7) Have a separate conformation class for Working/Performance Dogs. They
would be shown in their own class and both type and athletic working
conformation and movement would be evaluated. The dog must hold a
performance title (AKC or IPO)to be eligible to compete in this class.

8) Change rules so that every specialty show must include performance
classes at the same show (can open up to other breeds).

9) Create a Total Dog award at each Specialty show where dogs that compete
in both conformation and a performance class would be eligible to compete
in the Total Dog class.

10) Change the rules to make the color white a disqualification. The color
has always existed in the breed and whites competing alongside colored
dogs. And, the argument that white dogs can't be good herding dogs is
rubbish. I've see whites herding and the sheep respect them!

11. Create an IPO "Instinct" type of certification. A lot of people do not
have time to title for IPO but want to have their dog tested for IPO
potential. Maybe we could create a test to see if the dog has the nerve
strength and potential for IPO. This would be similar to our TC or HIC. It
would involve the GSDCA working dog clubs to open up a program for dogs to
participate in to lead up to the Certification Test.

12) Create an award for dogs that compete successfully in both AKC and SV
conformation divisions to encourage crossover.

13) Create a health Database to keep track of health conditions with
specific bloodlines.

Ok....that's all I can think of right now. Does anyone have any thoughts
on these ideas or would you like to add some?

Thank you,

Sarah Minsk-Eduardo
Von Whitehall German Shepherds
<http://www.vonwhitehallgermanshepherds.com/>
"Preserving the classic
German Shepherd Dog"
Member of GSDCA and Signer of Breeders Code of Ethics