[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: INFORMATION NEEDED HERE

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 19:12:51 -0500

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:46:00 -0500, "Tanya D'Armand"
<floridacracker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Got a call yesterday from a friend who placed a dog with GERMAN SHEPHERD
>RESCUE OF CENTRAL FLORIDA, a 501c3 rescue. This dog was placed in rescue
>because of Severe Fear & Mental issues. Dog has been on PROZAC.

[rant]

My question is this: why was this dog foisted off upon
rescue in the first place?? If the dog were so mentally
unsound that the owner or breeder was unwilling or unable
to deal with its issues, then it should have been re-homed
to someone who could, or else it should have been
euthanized. Period! Rescue should not have even been
involved except as a one-way transport to the vet after a
failed temperament evaluation.

The dog aggression list I hang out on is dealing with a
similar situation right now. It seems that a family with a
toddler and an infant recently adopted a border collie mix
WITH A CONFIRMED BITE HISTORY from a BC
"breed rescue" and is now having to make painful decisions
about what to do with this dog? Why would ANY rescue adopt
such an animal to a family with very young children??? (Or
anyone, really?)  Are these people so desperate to save
*every* animal that they are willing to throw caution and
common sense out the window or possibly endanger the life
of a child??? Well I'm sorry, but not every dog SHOULD be
saved. There. I've said it!  GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/rant]

--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100107-0, 01/07/2010
Tested on: 1/7/2010 7:12:52 PM