[ SHOWGSD-L ] I was wondering why.....

  • From: JLynCreations@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:21:51 -0400 (EDT)

I have to say that  of course it takes  ALOT of work and you have  to have
members that are willing to do that.  Our club was headed for  disaster a
few years back....the membership had dwindled down to about 6  people.  There
was nothing going on within the club to make it interesting  or for anyone
else to want to be there.  You HAVE to offer  things...programs, demos,
education, FUN STUFF like socials...pot luck dinners  etc. Why would anyone
want
to take part in a club that has a 10 minute business  meeting and that's
it?? DUH!!  We always have something going on now. We  try to have a program as
often as possible. You would be surprised how many  people are coming out
to see what's happening now. We advertise in the local  papers online...most
of them are free. There are even radio stations that will  put your info on
for no charge and even on local news channels if it is a  community event.
Our membership has grown tremendously over the past few years and is
continuing to do so and I  have to attribute it to the programs. We  recently
had
a mini grooming seminar at one of the members homes, a speaker from  a pet
food company, a schutzhund & ring sport demo, vets...you name  it!!  There
are plenty of people out there willing to come speak to the  clubs...you just
have to look for them!  As for our shows....we can no  longer get the
entries needed as a stand alone show so we cluster with 2 other  clubs and all
pull majors all 3 days. We slpit many of the  expenses including  a very nice
free hospitality dinner for everyone  attending the shows, whether they are
showing a dog or not. We have had very  good success with this for several
years now. We also have a website with a  calendar of events  that apparently
seems to be working because people are  showing up at events  saying they
saw it on the site.  Just takes some  effort......

Linda  Novotasky
_www.jlynshepherds.com_ (http://www.jlynshepehrds.com/)