[ SHOWGSD-L ] I want to QUIT !

  • From: Kizwiz@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 22:28:59 EDT

This was sent to me by a fellow rescuer. I CAN RELATE.

Pat  GSRCNY.ORG

"I Want To Quit!" by Joan  Fremo, May, 2001

This week's contribution is late, and I want to apologize to my  readers. It
has been such a busy week with Rescue, and sometimes Rescuers just  run out of
time. Sometimes, Rescue can be very difficult... I'd like to share  with you
my feelings. The following is based on a recent post I made to my  friends on
one of my Rescue Email lists. I was not the only one experiencing  "one of
those weeks". I want to quit!
My health is bad. There are  days I feel so terrible that I can barely move.
My phone bills are outrageous,  and I could have replaced my van with the
funds I have spent these last 3  years---on animals that were not my own.
I want to quit!
I spend hours and hours emailing about dogs. There  may be 500 messages when
I start---and at 4 AM, when I finally shut down the  computer, there are still
500 emails to be read.
I want to quit!
Gosh, I haven't the time left to email my friends.  I can't remember the last
book I read, and I gave up my subscription to my local  newspaper---I used to
enjoy reading it, cover to cover, but now it often ends up  in the bottom of
the squirrel's cage---unread.
I want to quit!
I've spent days emailing what seems like  everyone---trying to find a foster
home, help for a dog languishing in a  shelter---but his time has run out, and
the shelter has had to euthanize to make  room for the next sad soul.
I want to quit!
I swear, I walk away from my computer to stretch my  legs---let the dogs
out---and come back to find another dog in desperate need.  There are times I
really dread checking my email. How will I find the funds, the  help, to save
yet
another dog?
I want to quit!
I save one dog, and two more take its place. Now an  owner who doesn't want
his dog---it won't stay in his unfenced yard. An intact  male wanders... This
bitch got pregnant by a stray... This 3-month-old pup  killed baby chicks...
The dog got too big... This person's moving and needs to  give up his pet. I
ask
you, friends---what town, what city, what state doesn't  allow you to own a
pet?
I want to quit!
I just received another picture, another sad soul  with tormented eyes that
peer out of a malnourished body. I hear whimpering in  my sleep, have
nightmares for days...

Many of the "Breed People" don't seem to want to hear about these dogs.
Breeders either don't realize, or just don't care, how many dogs of their breed

are dying in shelters.
I want to quit!
I just got off the phone. "Are you Pyr Rescue? We  want to adopt a male to
breed to our female." How many times do I have to  explain? I have tried to
explain about genetics, about health and pedigrees. I  explain that rescue
NEUTERS! I usually end up sobbing, as I explain about the  vast numbers of
animals
dying in shelters across the country, as I describe the  condition many of
these
animals are found in. I wonder if they really heard  me...
I want to quit!
It is not like I don't have enough rescues of my  own to worry about---but
others have placed dogs improperly and aren't there to  advise the new owners.
I want to quit!
There ARE some unscrupulous rescues out  there---hoarders, collectors, and
folks who will short change the care of the  animals to make a dollar. They
save
them all, regardless of temperament, putting  fellow rescuer's and adopters
at risk by not being truthful.
I want to quit!
I have trusted the wrong people--- had faith and  heart broken...
I want to quit!
AND THEN...
My dog, lays his head in my lap, he  comforts me with his gentle
presence---and the thought of his cousins suffering  stirs my heart.
I want to quit!
AND THEN...
One of those 500 emails is from an  adopter. They are thanking me for the
most wonderful dog on earth---they cannot  imagine life with out their
friend---their life is changed, and they are so  grateful.
I want to quit!
AND THEN...
One of my adopted Rescues has  visited a nursing home. A patient that has
spent the last few years unable to  communicate, not connecting---Lifts his
hand
to pat the huge head in his lap,  softly speaks his first words in ages--- to
this gentle furchild.
I want to quit!
AND THEN...
A Good Samaritan has found and  vetted a lost baby, "I can't keep him, but
I'll take care of him until you find  his forever home."
I want to quit!
AND THEN...
"Jamie took his first steps holding  on to our Pyr." "Joan, you should see
this dog nursing this hurt kitten!" "I was  so sick, Joan, and he never left my
side..."
I want to quit!
AND THEN...
I get an email from a fellow  rescuer, "Haven't heard from you in a
while---you OK? You know I think of  you..."

AND THEN...
A dozen rescuers step up to help, to  transport, to pull, and to offer
encouragement. I have friends I have never  seen, but we share tears, joys, and
everything in between. I am not alone. I am  blest with family of the heart, my
fellow Rescuers.
Just days ago it was a friend who shared her wit and wisdom, whose late night
 email lifted my heart. Sometimes it is friends who only have time to forward
you  a smile. Often, it is my friends who forward me the notices of dogs in
need.
There are Rescuers who see a flailing transport and do everything they can do
 find folks to pull it together for you. Rescuers who'll overnight or foster
your  Dog while you seek transport. There are Rescuers not used to or
comfortable with  your breed, but who put aside their discomfort to help. There
are
Rescuers whose  words play the music of our hearts. Foster homes that love your
Rescue, and help  to make them whole again---body and spirit. Foster homes
that fit your baby in,  though it may not be their breed. Rescuers whose
talents
and determination give  us tools to help us. Rescuers we call on for help in a
thousand ways, who answer  us, who hear our pleas. Rescuers who are our
family, our strength, our comrades  in battle.
I know I cannot save every dog in need. I know my efforts are a mere  drop in
a sea. I know that if I take on just one more---those I have will  suffer.
I want to quit!
But I won't. When I feel overwhelmed, I'll stroke  my dogs head while reading
my fellow Rescuers emails. I'll cry with them,  I'll laugh with them---and
they will help me find the strength to go on.
I want to quit!
But not today.
There's another email, another  dog needing Rescue.

This piece is dedicated, with love and gratitude,  to all my fellow Rescuers.