[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I see the problem

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 14:47:24 -0800

I never said judges were responsible for making comments on the breeding
that produced the dogs in their ring.  I never said or intimated that they
were supposed to tell the breeders who to breed to.  Maybe what's being lost
in the equation is -- if you are showing your dog -- the ultimate purpose
for winning points and championships, is to prove the quality of the animal
and therefore it is more worthy of breeding.  I realize that is rather
farcical at this point in the game, but that is what the original general
purpose of becoming a champion was.

What I was trying to get across and you keep trying to dodge the bullet, is
Judges need to be mindful of the fact that they have more of a
responsibility to the job than just pointing their fingers, their primary
purpose is to evaluate the dogs in the ring, compare them against the
standard and adjudicate which ones are closest to it.  As an expert in the
breed (the AKC's determination and definition of the people who hold judge's
licenses, not mine) the judge should use a correct procedure and ring
control to insure that they are actually able to compare the dogs against
the standard.  Fast Speed and Tight Leads, or Fast Speeds and Loose leads
for half a pass, or anything other than a slow to a moderate speed on a
loose lead is not correct procedure for evaluating this breed, especially
now.

I've beat this horse to death, resurrected and smashed it a few more times,
and I think finally I need to stop beating on it.  Someone else who feels
that things in ring need to be addressed needs to step up == or not, and our
breed's motion will become an afterthought.

Kathaleen