[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I need to vent

  • From: "Mary-Anne" <mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 19:09:50 -0400

I don't know what the laws are in the States but in Canada, those papers
represent ownership of a chattel.  If the dog is sold and resold (or placed)
without the agreement of the owner of the dog (the one whose name is on the
ownership certificate) which is indicated by return of the papers, it could
be considered theft, the dog could be repossessed and the current owner
charged.
The chances of that happening are little I admit BUT never doubt the
determination of a buyer who thinks that they've been wronged.  There was a
case up here last year where a breeder was slandered all over the internet
and through several lists because of the same type of affair.  The rumours
always last, even when you try to fight back with the truth.  In my opinion,
stick with the letter of the law and write it off as a really bad
experience.   Ensure that all the GSD Breeders that you know are informed as
to this person's name and hopefully they will never again be in the position
to do such harm to a young GSD.
JMHO
Mary-Anne

>If he goes to someone who wants to do performance stuff, let
>them get an  ILP #.

I have to agree with Kathy. I was in a situation where my
Rusty's (RIP) AKC registration had never been completed by
his goofy first owner. I even found out his litter number.
No matter. I got his ILP and he would have proudly gone
for his obedience and rally titles under his new name
(that *I* gave him) had he lived.

As it is, AKC "papers" don't mean much to the average dog
owner or else designer mutts would not be so popular and
AKC wouldn't be crying all the time that their
registrations are down. You've already spent the money on
his vet care and you're about to invest more in training.
I'd get the dog into a proper new home and worry about
"papers" later. If this dog's new people want to do sports
with him, they can use the ILP. That's what it's for.

--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx