[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I learned

  • From: RopajaGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 22:18:22 EDT

Okay, I will have to jump in the fray...

Paulette,
The answer you received was from some one who does not have a very positive
 attitude toward this award (AKC JAM/AOE) as is obviously by her answer
"tearing  one award down to lift up another" which in MHO is a sad state of
affairs  whether it concerns an award or a person or a dog.  I am sure you have
 heard this attitude expressed concerning other areas of life...it is a
poor  defense of anything (or anyone) when you have to tear something down to
build  something else up.  That said, I will also add that the person who
responded with the explanation is very close to this matter as she has worked
long and hard to get this award in place and it is understandable (not
excusable) why she responded the way she did.  Additionally, she had had  many
wonderful dogs in the past when she was actively showing and is a long
standing supporter of the breed.  Again, in mho, she did not choose her  words
wisely when she responded to your original question.

Now for my personal observation:  You (generic) could explain the  GSDCA
SELECT Award the same way; dog did not go Best of Breed; did not go  Best of
Opposite, but was considered good enough to be honorably mentioned with  the
title "Select".  Were you (again generic) to denigrate the Select award
around the many people whose dogs have been so rewarded, it would not go over
very big either, and rightly so.  All of those awards are very important to
the people whose dogs have been so noted and each of those awards can be
explained in a factual civilized way with no denigration for any of them.
The BIS that my bitch was awarded is very important to me and I (again mho)
consider it as great an award as a Select would be...I want that one too
(VBG);  but I certainly would not try to diminish the BIS award because my
(generic) dog  went Select or vice versa.
These additional posts on the integrity, the knowledge, etc of judges
whether specialty or all breed is just people taking part of a post and going
off in a different direction, which "sometimes" happens on this list (grin)
and  it is a whole other topic. Incidentally, my bitch also was awarded the
AKC JAM/AOE at the Eukanuba Invitational and I like Paula am proud of that
as  well.  Each of us are proud of whatever our dogs achieve and I do not
believe it is very classy to downgrade publicly, awards that are won by our
dogs  that we are all so proud of..and we do need to remember (in the words of
LB) to  "...encourage not to discourage...".
P.S.  Paula, I hope I have added to your knowledge and that it was  okay to
continue using your subject..

Pauline Moon  - _www.ropajagsd.com_ (http://www.ropajagsd.com/)
Ropaja German  Shepherds:Membe-GSDCAmercia & GSDCAtlanta - AKC JAM/AOE/BIS/
BISS CH  Ropaja's Chateau Beaujolais OFA HIC; BISS AKC CH Ropaja's Chateau
Beaulieu OFA  HIC; Our future: AKC CH. Ropaja's Je Suis Fleur De Lis; AKC
PTD Ropaja's  Je Suis Gabrielle.

In a message dated 4/26/2010 9:34:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

Msg: #1  in digest
From: "Paula Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon,  26 Apr 2010 23:47:43 GMT
Subject: Re: I learned

None of this is  Rocket Science, nor is it as secretive as some GSDCA
stuff!!!

Just like  the GSDCA Select rating; one judge's opinion at one show.  No
more, no  less.

Except, AKC allows only a limited number of entries to be  awarded an AOE.
The GSDCA allows any and all entries to be awarded  Select, at the judge's
discretion.  There are less GSD's with the AKC AOE  than there are GSD's
with the GSDCA Selects, Select Excellent, or even  AOE's.  Ergo, the AKC AOE is
a more rare and prestigious award,  IMHO.  I understand that our
self-esteemed Chairperson of the GSDCA AOE  Committee considers the AKC AOE to
be a
Second-Class or Second-Rate  award.  I don't believe she has ever had a dog
awarded one.   Actually, I don't believe that she even competes in our sport!!
 Them  than can, do, them that can't, criticize and condemn??

You will see  Grand Champions in the next few months.  I am sure that there
will be  quite a few this summer.  It is not hard to look it up on the AKC
website!!

http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=4096

Paula, 168 days  and counting

Home of Best in Show, Multi-Group Winning, GSDCA Dual  Title Award
Recipient, AKC JAM/AOE, International and American Champion Asgard  Harley
Davidson
v Plamark, HT, PT, CGC, TC, HIC, OFA (Hips, Elbows, Heart  & Thyroid) DNA
tested clear of the long-coat factor.

From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 20:08:03  EDT
Subject: As I recall

In a message dated 4/26/10 4:49:16 PM  Pacific Daylight Time,
pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I   understand that our self-esteemed Chairperson of the GSDCA AOE
Committee
considers the AKC AOE to be a Second-Class or Second-Rate award.  I  don't
believe she has ever had a dog awarded one.  Actually, I  don't believe
that she even competes in our sport!!

I hate to argue with my good friend Paula, but Helen has had  some great
dogs, and I think an AOE. I remember one in  particular.  Don Quixote  was
one
of our very special dogs and  there were others.  Helen never showed  in
all-breed shows as I  recall, but she certainly has had an impact on our
breed
with her  dogs.

Evan   Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament   come together