[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I hope I never see this again

  • From: "EDEN HALL" <GSDHALLMARK@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:25:09 -0800

We have a friend who had a male pup in the 6-9 class.  This was a very nice pup
and was very well socialized and had a wonderful GSD temperament.  Well, when
he was first starting out, he barked at a judge and the judge kicked him out of
the ring and then the AKC kicked him out of being able to show, at all, ever -
from the 6-9 class!
I was there, so were a bunch of us (used to have good entries in those days)
and the pup was just being a GSD pup!  He didn't show any teeth, he didn't
snarl, he wasn't afraid, he just was starting out his show life and alerted to
a stranger coming up.  It was just a reaction, that's all.  Obviously at the
time we didn't know the consequences were going to be so dire or we would have
made a fuss at the show site.

The owner of the pup made appeals for over years to reinstate this boy, to no
avail.  The judge himself even, after a VERY long time, appealed on the dog's
behalf.

This used to be the exception, but this type of judge's behavior is becoming
more and more the norm at ABs.

The parent club is the only entity that can really correct this problem.  As I
understand things, the AKC defers to the breed clubs.

Okay GSDCA-do your thing!

Edie

Hallmark German Shepherds
'The Best of Both Worlds'